Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do raises work?

ljschleif77
Ace Contributor
Laura S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
1 of 3

Question folks on pay. 

I've been working for a couple months with a company and the man I work for said he wanted to offer me a $1 raise.  Do they do that or do I change the rate myself?  Also will that mess up my contract in any way?  Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 3

@Laura S wrote:

Question folks on pay. 

I've been working for a couple months with a company and the man I work for said he wanted to offer me a $1 raise.  Do they do that or do I change the rate myself?  Also will that mess up my contract in any way?  Thanks!

Ideally the client would end the contract and create a new one with a slightly different title (so they don't get merged) so you can benefit from the feedback.

This is not strictly necessary as the client can just click on "increase rate" in the contract but for your profile it is better to go with a new contract. It also protects you a bit from a long term relationship going south at some point (to a degree.)

It also takes just a minute longer for the client.

View solution in original post

benjamin_blue
Ben B Member Since: Jan 24, 2018
3 of 3

hi, i want to make sure i am totally clear, which i think i am, when you said "client" you meant the company paying the freelancer (me), correct?

one of my companies offered me a raise, so that'd mean i can tell them they can just "increase rate" from their end?

thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS