chanphan

How do think about the bonus will be also charged 10% or 20%?

Hello everybody,

I have just received $5 bonus after the contract end. I'm very happy about it because I know that my client satisfied with my work, so he gave me some extra budget. However, when I see my transaction history, my bonus is charged 10% (because my project started before June), if my project start after June, the bonus will be charge 20%. I'm happy about this because this is BONUS. I think that the Upwork shouldn't charge bonus for freelancer. It's not unfair.

How about you?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
katrinabeaver

It's totally fair.  Bonuses have to be charged a fee because if not people would just pay a dollar and then use the bonus to pay the rest of the project to avoid the fee.  The fee is how Upwork makes their money.  If they didn't charge the fee on the bonus, they would tank pretty quick.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
katrinabeaver

It's totally fair.  Bonuses have to be charged a fee because if not people would just pay a dollar and then use the bonus to pay the rest of the project to avoid the fee.  The fee is how Upwork makes their money.  If they didn't charge the fee on the bonus, they would tank pretty quick.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

You do not need to accept Upwork taking 10% of the bonuses you are paid.

You can instruct clients to not pay you bonuses.

Thank Katrina B, now I understood  the reason why Upwork charged fee from bonus payment.

Thank you.

Best

Trang Pham

Congratulations on your bonus! It's rare. Two online clients paid me bonuses for extra attention to detail and excellent work. Upwork took their normal percentage fee from the bonuses. Not an issue, though.

I recently got screwed out of a bonus and the crazy thing is that I think the client rated me well. Promised me a 20% bonus if I finished 2 days earlier than we agreed. I delivered he did not.

I gotta jack his rating because of it but it feels almost crappy cuz I'm pretty sure he rated me well. But it's something other freelancers should know. I hate giving bad ratings.

tlsanders

I'm in favor of the same fee being charged no matter how the payment is classified. It keeps things simple and minimizes the opportunity and incentive to seek out creative ways to structure a contract so that Upwork doesn't get its fair share.

The one area I do have a problem with fees being charged is in the reimbursement of expenses, but I don't have a clear idea of a way to fix that that wouldn't be extremely labor-intensive.

Concern about expenses is understandable but you're right, it is not going to change. I think most contractors just do what I do, which is to have clients pay for expenses directly as much as possible, or to include expenses in the calculations of their rates and quotes.

For example, I provide free server space to my clients. I pay these expenses myself, but it is just the cost of doing business, and it is a small cost relative to my earnings. Similar to contractors who pay for software such as Adobe Creative Suite, in order to provide the services they provide. These are not expenses we charge clients for directly. But if a stock photo is needed, for example, best to just have the client buy it directly.