cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we see the bids made by the other freelancers?

Michael P Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
1 of 24

I have  just upgraded to Freelancer Plus which states that I can  'View competitor bids for any job'.

Where can I view this information ?

Thanks,

Mike

Community Leader
Noureldin Y Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
2 of 24
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 24

Noureldin Y wrote:

https://www.upwork.com/ab/plans/membership/change-plan

buy the $15 plan.

Which part of "I have just upgraded to Freelancer Plus"  was in any way too complicated for you to comprehend?

Community Leader
Noureldin Y Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
4 of 24

lol, just saw it for the first time. I was half-awake.

Contagious disease Smiley Frustrated.

Marvelous.
Community Leader
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
5 of 24

You'll see a range of bids at the bottom of the job post.  You won't see individual bids.

bid range.JPG

Michael P Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
6 of 24
Thank you for you fast feedback

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 24

Michael,

Unfortunately, all Upwork will allow you to see is the maximum, minimum and average bids already placed on a project. This can be better than no information at all, but it's far less than useful than what Upwork's predecessor Elance used to provide, including pricing details on ALL proposals and then identifying which proposal actually was accepted by the client. (If the high and low bids are both outliers from the majority of the proposals, then neither they nor the average are useful information.)

This much more detailed information was an especially big help to new freelancers who wanted to understand the common and successful freelancer pricing in their niche, but I've been on Elance/Upwork for a few years and would still like to know when price has probably played a role when my proposal has't won a new project.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
8 of 24

Will L wrote:

This much more detailed information was an especially big help to new freelancers who wanted to understand the common and successful freelancer pricing in their niche, but I've been on Elance/Upwork for a few years and would still like to know when price has probably played a role when my proposal has't won a new project.

Will, I am curious, what would you do with that information?  I can see in the abstract that it would be nice to have it but when I start down the road of what action I would take because of it I am drawing a blank.  

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
9 of 24

Hi, Mark.

I would do the same thing with that information that any smart business owner does in an open and transparent market, which includes getting an understanding of where my standard proposal rates for different types of work stand compared to my competitors and occasionally testing different pricing to see if my win rates change within the core range of competitive pricing I can see in my Upwork niche.

I've consulted with and advised hundreds of companies in a wide variety of industries during my career and not a single one didn't care what their competitors were charging for their products and services. In a market as competitive as Upwork, flying blind on competitors' pricing is a big disadvantage for freelancers who want to try to find the right balance between charging higher prices and winning enough bids to make whatever level of earnings they desire.

I assume this is especially a problem for new freelancers who also have no experience in the offline economy, meaning they really have no clue when they start out what pricing competition they face.

It is to Upwork's advantage that freelancers maximize their pricing, which would also increase Upwork's fee income (it's biggest revenue source). So, it isn't obvious why Upwork doesn't provide this more detailed pricing information. Maybe Upwork thinks higher pricing would reduce the number of clients relying on Upwork freelancers for work done at below-market prices? I don't know.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
10 of 24

Oh sure, they collect the data, companies collect lots of data obsessively.  

But I am not sure this particular data, at least for me, would be actionable.  That someone one a bid at less than me, what does that tell me I should have done differently?  I have no information about what they said and how they said it, so am I to assume it was only because I was cheaper?   If I make that assumption, what do I do as a result?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS