Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you bill for supervisory work?

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 8
One of my clients recently hired an assistant for me and I'm not sure how to bill for the time I spend supervising him. I have managed people before, but that was at jobs where I was paid a salary, and I didn't have to account for every minute of my time. This is an hourly job where I bill for manual tine. If we had hour long meetings, I would simply bill for that time (I bill my client for meetings with him) but as my assistant and I have different schedules, we mostly email back and forth. I will give him instructions, he will respond, I will review and ask for changes, etc. So there are tiny segments of time which can seem insignificant, but they add up. There is also the time I spend planning the work for him to do, which can sometimes take up a big block of time but sometimes doesn't take that long. It all adds up,though. He is a skilled freelancer so I expect that as time goes on, he will be more independent and won't need me so much, but there is a learning curve.
rpmacrohon
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
2 of 8
Not sure if this would help nor be applicable. In some of my consultancy projects where clients would require me to do supervisory work to insure every aspect of the project be on the same page I bill my client a "Plus Cost" or simply put, I bill anywhere from 10% to 30% of the total Project Cost.
marciamalory
Community Guru
3 of 8
I don't think I can do that because I didn't ask for a change in rate structure before my assistant was hired. I had a part in the hiring decision, so if I wanted a change in how I was paid, I should have discussed this with my client before he went ahead and hired another person. I have to charge my normal hourly rate.
rpmacrohon
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
4 of 8
The Supervisory Cost was over and above my Consultancy Fee. The Percentage were computed against what ever the project cost. Though you are right, you may need to talk with your client first regarding Supervision.
e_gan
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
5 of 8
If I had your situation, I will bill and manually log those hours on Odesk contract, and suggest a lump-sum bonus for those supervised hours. As you are already on agreed ongoing hourly rate with the client and without informing the client earlier he/she assumes your supervision consultancy hours are included in contract thus it's a risk you won't be paid extra. Best to be honest and upfront as early into your jobs in future about such ifs dilemmas. Or I'll tell the client right out that the freelancer he hired is slowing the job progress down.
marciamalory
Community Guru
6 of 8
The freelancer is doing a very good job and making my work easier. It was my decision for him to be hired, and the work that I am doing supervising and training him is an expected part of my job. I'll think about consolidating the time into a lump sum. The client is aware that I need to be paid for all the work I do; the question is how to bill for it.
mandylula
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
7 of 8
A lot depends on the relationship you have with your client. Assuming it is a long term, good relationship, perhaps you could just discipline yourself to jot down all those 5 minutes here and there and then add the hours manually. I think billing per week is safer, if you leave it to the end of the month, it will be more difficult (for you, your client and the assistant) to verify the hours.
marciamalory
Community Guru
8 of 8
Yeah, if it adds up to a decent amount of time, I think I will probably just total it and bill it that way.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS