cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you charge clients for content for presentations?

melissaeandrews
Melissa Elise A Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
1 of 5

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork.  I am going to be accepting jobs related to creating PowerPoint and Keynote presentations.  As part of those presentations, I may want to use graphics on the slides.  To avoid copyright issues, it's best to purchase graphics from places like Shutterstock or Dreamstime.  How do I pass those charges on to the client?  Do we agree on that up front?  I am thinking I could have the client purchase the images and then email them / upload them so I can access them?  That way I don't have to worry about chargebacks, etc.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 5

Melissa, this isn't something I've had to do but I'd check with the client to find out what they prefer. But bear in mind the Upwork fee if you're doing the purchasing; you'll have to increase the price so after deducting the Upwork fee you collect the actual purchase price. Also, if you're working on an hourly contract, the client would have to pay you through bonuses.

3 of 5

Thanks for the quick reply John.  This is helpful!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

re: "Do we agree on that up front?"

Yes. Up front. Or don't do it.

There is a LARGE proporton of clients who would be very irate if you started tacking on expenses for graphics or content you start buying without their permission.

melissaeandrews
5 of 5

Thank you.  Yes I figured up front was best - just wasn't sure how to charge for that.  It looks like I can either have them buy the graphics, or use the bonus method John mentioned if they prefer to pay me to do it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS