🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do you contact a client on Upwork who has...
Page options
abigail-gordon
Community Member

How do you contact a client on Upwork who has not sent an offer?

Hello,

A client posted a job I am interested in but one of the requirements is to send them a message after submitting the proposal in order to be considered. How can you find clients on Upwork to message them?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

After you submit a proposal, then if the client replies to you, you may send the client a message using the Upwork Messages tool.

Until you get a reply from the client, you may not send them a message.

You are not allowed to search for a way to contact a client. If you were to do so, and contract a prospective client outside of the Upwork system, it would be violation of Upwork ToS.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

After you submit a proposal, then if the client replies to you, you may send the client a message using the Upwork Messages tool.

Until you get a reply from the client, you may not send them a message.

You are not allowed to search for a way to contact a client. If you were to do so, and contract a prospective client outside of the Upwork system, it would be violation of Upwork ToS.

Hi, Preston I know I am not to search for a client to contact them.  However, here is part of the requirements the client posted:

Please: (1) submit portfolio 'as asked' in the application question AND (2) send me a message here on Upwork, you can copy-paste this line if needed: ‘hi, I’ve applied.' Only those who do both of these steps (1&2) are considered for evaluations. All contracts will be done only here through Upwork. Thanks.

Abigail G wrote:

Hi, Preston I know I am not to search for a client to contact them.  However, here is part of the requirements the client posted:

Please: (1) submit portfolio 'as asked' in the application question AND (2) send me a message here on Upwork, you can copy-paste this line if needed: ‘hi, I’ve applied.' Only those who do both of these steps (1&2) are considered for evaluations. All contracts will be done only here through Upwork. Thanks.

Perhaps they intend that you send them that message in your cover letter? 

Ultimately, it does not really matter what wording this client used.

The only way you can "send them a message" when you apply is to put your message in the cover letter.

So either do that, or do nothing.

There is no functionality for sending a client a message after you send in a proposal.

Okay....🤨 Thanks.

Abigail, what the client is trying to do here is filter out excess proposals that people send without reading the job post.

By including ‘hi, I’ve applied.' in your cover letter means the client might actually read your proposal. The client will probably not read any proposal that doesn't start with that phrase.

If you've already sent it, you can withdraw your proposal and resubmit it. You'll spend twice the Connects, though.

Thank you, Mikko, and all who assisted.  I appreciate your responses.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members