Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you deal with bad weeks ?

bosesumon
Ace Contributor

Hello ! Everyone,

I am a Graphic Designer and Ilustrator,

I have been freelancing on upwork for couple of months now. I quite liked it but how do you deal with weeks when all your proposals get rejected (no matter how good they are ) and on top of that I took 2 weeks vacation and came back to find out that my Job sucess rate has come down from 100 to 91. I am scared it will go below 90 and I wont get any project. How do you deal with it? I am still holding tight but I wanted to know if all Freelancers have gone through rough patches and is there a light in the end ?

Thank you as always,

Sumon Bose

16 REPLIES 16
lysis10
Community Guru

I work on other things that make me money or have potential to make me money. 

Hello! jennifer good to hear from you again. I am working on other things too ( I have a few long term / monthly contracts with clioents outside upwork) but its still at the back of your head and bothers you.

I think I just being over sensitive (like always) but Its just me.

It bothers me for maybe a day or two but I get over it. I'm too confident for some schmuck on the internet to get me down for long. I like money, so I just go make money somewhere else or even just play video games with my friends or something.

I go workout too sometimes. Sun, workouts, etc lift your mood.

My JSS fluctuates between 92-95. Highest it's ever been was 96. I too want to stay above the 90 mark, but I've already told myself that poop happens and I'm not going to beat myself up too much if i drop below 90. I care more about the money than the JSS. If I'm at 80 but making IRL gold, who cares? 

Jennifer,

You outlook as always is the best. I feel quite good actually. You think I shouldnt worry about the 91 percent JSS much ?

@Sumon B wrote:

Jennifer,

You outlook as always is the best. I feel quite good actually. You think I shouldnt worry about the 91 percent JSS much ?

Nope, you're still over 90 so you're good. I wouldn't close any dead contracts until I go back up. I just popped back up to 95, so I closed some dead contracts. 

tgstudio
Community Guru

In the freelance world it is either feast or famine. The summer months tend to slow down for everyone. As a freelancer, you have to be prepared for these lean times. I also wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. I have several clients that I work with regularly outside of Upwork. That helps. There are other freelance platforms out there. Networking in your local area helps. You have to constantly market yourself. No one is going to sell you but yourself.

iaabraham
Community Guru

The past several months have been really bad for me but it's starting to pick up now.

Like Jen said, spend your time on things that can make you more money. Use this time to improve your profile, update your portfolio, work on your website/blog (if you have one), or take some courses to sharpen your skills or pick up new ones.

Also think about looking for other ways to earn income, like setting a profile up on other sites/platforms, investing your savings, etc.

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

The past several months have been really bad for me but it's starting to pick up now.

Like Jen said, spend your time on things that can make you more money. Use this time to improve your profile, update your portfolio, work on your website/blog (if you have one), or take some courses to sharpen your skills or pick up new ones.

Also think about looking for other ways to earn income, like setting a profile up on other sites/platforms, investing your savings, etc.

Glad to hear things are picking up for you, Isabelle. 2nd and the beginning of the 3rd quarter of this year were bad for me too, but I just got an awesome new full time client and things are great. Took a ton of proposals. I think next year I am going to work towards making sure I have something before summer hits.

gnakeur
Community Guru

I am not able to get any single new job for quite long time. I think partly it is because I am not top rated and partly it is becuase of cheap clients, partly because of summer. I am waiting for 2 more weeks and expecting to get top rated badge at last after 2-3 months after I lost it. But I have 2 great active contracts at this time and I have a great full time job so I am not upset about this. I wrote a lot of great proposals and got a lot of replies, but then most clients went with cheap freelancers.

Hey Giorgi,

I am holding on to it too, concentrating on other contracts which I have outside Upwork. I think you are right about clients prefrering cheap freelancers, dont people care about quality of work any more ?

I had an awful week - very little work plus one fixed price job that gave me the lowest rating I've ever had.

Oddly, I was just contacted by that very same client to do a bunch more work.

Hello ! Mary,

Good to hear that. I am happy that Upwork has such a strong community. I am feeling quite happy reading all the comments on this thread.

Thank you,

Sumon

I'm a graphic designer too and it's been really, really slow on UpWork for me lately too. I haven't had any proposals turn into jobs in quite awhile. Not sure what's going on. I had a couple interviews that seemed promising at first but then the clients ghosted on me. I don't dwell on it though, you gotta have tough skin to be an objective graphic designer anyway so I don't take it personally. Business is business.

Fortunately my clients outside UpWork keep coming back and this low period has really made me think about how I can keep my business growing in areas outside of UW.

mariawicz5
Community Guru

Does 2 weeks off actually drop JSS by 9 points?! Is there anyway around this in case I want to go on a vacation?

Hi Maria,

A few weeks of inactivity on the platform will not by itself affect your JSS. Your JSS may change if you have open contracts that haven't been active for a long period of time or if a good rating falls off the calculation. Taking a two-week break from bidding on Upwork or working on an active contract will not have a negative effect.

~ Valeria
Upwork
datasciencewonk
Community Guru

It's definitely slow for me in terms of brand new clients...

However, my ongoing contracts are keeping me busy. In fact, I had one of those "we're in a time crunch" things happen....

And well, they've been a good client so, I'm like one of the many-armed Hindu Goddesses (preferably Saraswati) managing a bunch of different changes....ugh...

But yeah...I've been turned down for three proposals this month (that's HUGE for me...before September I wasn't receiving the "no thanks hired another freelancer" messages).

Oh well. Ebbs and flows. (I do go back and research who they chose...lately, I've noticed the other freelancer had direct, intensive experience with precisely what the client was looking for--which is a shift from the "oh I see they just went with the lowball freelancer, ok pal, I got your number.")

It prompted me to go back to school, and also craft some other items for portfolio submissions. Upskill people. Upskill. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS