Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you deal with clients who force you to work outside Upwork

Highlighted
Rajavanya S Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
1 of 12

I love to keep working only on Upwork.com

But there are time when high profile clients who already have spent more than 10-50K, ask me to continue my second project with them outside Upwork.

"I see their perspective as well. If Upwork keeps charging 10% for every project, clients might want to save their money." - (update : apparently this is not true , but most of client do know that I mark up 10% on top of my rates for upwork)

A better idea would be to have pricing in such a way that for the first project Upwork.com takes 10% cut, but for subsequent project, they can reduce their commission.

Is there a way most top-rated freelancers deal with clients like this?

P.S. Don't tell me just say "no". I would like to know how you explain what benefits they get by staying on Upwork.com. Because after the first project, good trust is established between client and freelancer, so security can't be the only reason.

========= update ==========

Lets all be clear about one thing

- I love Upwork.com and ideally would want all my clients to continue paying here.

- This platform has given me a new life of freedom and the ability to travel and work

- I would do nothing to sabotage this in anyway.

I see too much hostile/attacking answers on this thread. I'm new and just asking for advice. I got a few points already which I will keep in mind.

Most people don't seem to even read the question fully. I mentioned only the 2nd project and subsequent ones. Not the first project.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 12

Well, I mean, firstly it's against the TOS. But apart from that, as a client I stay on Upwork because: it gives me payment protection, it means that the freelancers I hire aren't employees or contractors so I don't have to worry about tax stuff, it's convenient, and because I always have new jobs where I need new freelancers.

Highlighted
Shelly - Ann P Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
3 of 12

Upwork do not charge Clients, all fees are billed to freelancers. Thus, if you want to run the risk of doing work and not getting paid, then by all means...go outside of upwork.

I do all my payments through Upwork, and ensure projects are fully funded before I lift a finger. I'm a freelancer, not a volunteer.

Highlighted
4 of 12

Hmm, thats a good point.

But most of them know its 10% on top of our usual fee.

Anyways, I think saving money is not the only concern. Lot of them find using paypal a lot more hassle-free.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 12
This widget could not be displayed.

@Rajavanya S wrote:

I love to keep working only on Upwork.com

But there are time when high profile clients who already have spent more than 10-50K, ask me to continue my second project with them outside Upwork.

I see their perspective as well. If Upwork keeps charging 10% for every project, clients might want to save their money.

A better idea would be to have pricing in such a way that for the first project Upwork.com takes 10% cut, but for subsequent project, they can reduce their commission.

Is there a way most top-rated freelancers deal with clients like this?

P.S. Don't tell me just say "no". I would like to know how you explain what benefits they get by staying on Upwork.com. Because after the first project, good trust is established between client and freelancer, so security can't be the only reason.

Why do you defend clients who try to hire off the platform? They cannot force you doing that, you can report them. There are clients who have spent a large amount on Upwork and much more outside. This is reflected by a lot of job offers and a relatively low hire rate.

Highlighted
6 of 12

Woah woah woah.. whats with all the hostility in this thread?

If this is the kind of response I get, I would refrain from participating in the forums.

So much for being honest and asking a question.

I was just bringing up something I had been facing, I am new and I was recently top-rated.

Lets all be clear about one thing

- I love Upwork.com and ideally would want all my clients to continue paying here.

- This platform has given me a new life of freedom and the ability to travel and work

- I would do nothing to sabotage this in anyway.

Please have some empathy people.

I just asked how do you guys deal with clients like that,

and if there a way to explain it to them than bluntly saying "no".

Thanks for making me feel so welcome in the forums.

Highlighted
7 of 12

And you didn't seem to read my question correctly.

My on-going clients most of them in their first project, don't ask me to work outside Upwork. But they say they would eventually want to move outside in the 2nd or 3rd project with me. I haven't said yes or no.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
8 of 12

I've never explained any benefits to clients of staying on Upwork/Elance, when they want to work off Upwork/Elance. I just explain that it's the rules, so we have to. I think the last time it happened, I said something along the lines of.

"Unfortunately, it's in the terms of service that we have to keep all work on the platform for a period of two years. I've made over $100K on Elance, so I don't really want to jeopardize that just to save a few dollars on fees. I hope you understand. If there's anything specific that you don't like about working on Elance, then just let me know... there may be a way around it without breaking the rules."

I add the last line as it might not be all about the fees. They hate the message system... they might not know we can chat via email, Skype etc. They might hate the file upload/download system.... they might not know we can use Dropbox instead etc. Never had anyone insist on taking the work off the platform. 

There used to be a 3% reduction (give or take) in the fee on Elance when you hit $20K of earnings with one client.  I only got that once. If they bring that in here, then I can't see them doing it after just one project, when the project average is considerably less than $20K. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
9 of 12

PERFECT ANSWER!

Thanks a lot. I have not worked with any client outside Upwork after they hired me on Upwork. And I don't intend to.

That is the reason I posted this question. But most people seem to either not read the question or just attack me.

Thanks for this answer. I will do the same!

Highlighted
Mark H Member Since: May 3, 2016
10 of 12

As a client I do understand why some would rather move their work off Upwork. Yes there is a saving on both sides (freelancer / client ) and on big projects it could mean a lot of money.

However, I have two thoughts here.

1. I am also in the online business and understand that for Upwork to succeed they need income. If we all move away from Upwork, it will disappear. 

2. Upwork does remove a lot of obstacles when it comes to hiring internationally and remotely. The tracking, the payments etc. These things are all very useful. It would most probably cost me more if I had to sort it all out myself.

I do all the legal and payment things through Upwork, but communication is done via email and Skype. I use Dropbox and Googl Drive to share files etc. This is for me the perfect arrangement and everyone seems happy.

Good luck with you work on Upwork. Some tips. Keep your customers happy and you will find work. Be honest about what you can and can't do. Communicate especially when things go wrong!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS