cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you drive external traffic to your UpWork profile?

Slavo T Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
1 of 22

Hi Freelancers!

I believe that this topic might be interesting for other freelancers too, so please share your questions.

I am currently evaluating whether some kind of external marketing of my upwork profile would be beneficial (Would bring more work). These options come to my mind:

-LinkedIn promotion of Freelancers Upwork profile.

-Paid FB target advertising which redirecs to Upwork public profile

-Setting up a branded FB page and some redirect to Upwork.

Anticipated outcomes:

- If the ad is focused on certain group of people and certain "pains" then it could drive traffic to my UpWork profile which could mean more hirings.

I would like to know what is your stand on this. I am business/marketing/consulting focused which makes it, I guess, a bit harder to target.

So, how do you all market yourselves outside UpWork?

Slavo

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 22

I mostly market myself through my own site, and I use social media to drive as much traffic there as I can. However any clients I find off platform stay off platform; I don't bring them here.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 22

Yeah, it's a bit like McDonalds. A lot of people like it, and use it regularly, but you wouldn't suggest it for a first date. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
4 of 22

My own site is a bit like a greasy kebab shop with a suspicious number of flea collars in the bin, but it's mine and I'm very proud of it. So there.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
5 of 22

I don't do this at all. I can see some advantages in doing this, and I do have a Slideshare account, but have always been too busy to get around to it.

Community Guru
6 of 22

Since the closure of Elance was announced I've tried to spend at least an hour or two a week marketing myself. I've learned the hard way that relying on one platform is a Very Bad Idea. What happens if one of their algorithms throws a track and decides to randomly ban you? By the time CS manage to sort things out it could have blown a real hole in your business. Set up a personal website, get your portfolio and testimonials on it, and drive external traffic to that.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 22

If upwork adopts Elance's marketing, they do this type of marketing themselves.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 22

@Jennifer M wrote:

If upwork adopts Elance's marketing, they do this type of marketing themselves.

"This type"? Of individual freelancers? No.

Even Elance's vanity URLs, when they worked, were reported to show one's competitors. To Upwork, we're all interchangeable parts. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 22

Maybe. I got Elance customers from people searching my name. Got a few of those, actually.

Slavo T Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
10 of 22

It seems that most of you drive traffic to your own websites. Do you have any key as to how you target your audience? Lets say you are a designer, it is quite hard to select what your audience could be, right? Even on FB where you can select interests and age but it might not show your ad to the right people, I mean how would you target startuper or busienss owners? How do you go about this?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS