cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you drive external traffic to your UpWork profile?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 22

I am an underground mole. I am not at all sociable and I do not have a website. Away from Upwork and Elance, I have built up a small cache of clients who like what I do, and  who pay me at the end of every month. I need onsite (or off) another two or three - and I would be perfectly happy. I could pay all my bills, buy my food, and maybe buy the odd week's holiday(vacation).   

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 22

Elance had some pretty good marketing. There were a few queries that hosted my profile. I'm hoping once the site transitions, Upwork will host the same landing pages.

If you didn't know to do certain searches, you probably wouldn't even know you were on their landing pages. 

Building your own site is tough (well, from a ranking standpoint). The writing area is saturated. Probably social is the best way to go, and I'm not social either Nichola. Google gave me a free domain for 2 years, and I made it a writing name but I never had an interest in hosting my own site when all I do is deal with website issues all day. lol

The marketing was the other reason I didn't mind paying a commission to Elance. If Upwork has the same marketing goals, the 10% will be worth it. Don't have to maintain your own site. Don't have to pay out hefty CPC costs. Just sit back and bid.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 22

@Jennifer M wrote:

There were a few queries that hosted my profile. I'm hoping once the site transitions, Upwork will host the same landing pages.

Jen,

I understand every word in those two sentences, and have no idea what you're saying. Do you mind explaining the word "host" where I would expect the word "return"?

Thanks,

Michael

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 22

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

There were a few queries that hosted my profile. I'm hoping once the site transitions, Upwork will host the same landing pages.

Jen,

I understand every word in those two sentences, and have no idea what you're saying. Do you mind explaining the word "host" where I would expect the word "return"?

Thanks,

Michael

Host as in host landing pages. For instance, I can't remember why but I did a search for Webmaster Central and my name. Elance came up with a landing page that's targeting "webmaster central programmers." I was #3 on their landing page. I mean "host" as in they are hosting the pages and targeting search queries in Google. I did another search for my forum nym and some other phrase, and my Elance profile came up. I've had, I think, about 3 people I can think of off the top of my head who said they found me in Google's search and landed on Elance.

I'm hoping that they will forward those existing landing pages to Upwork's domain, so the searches won't be lost.

Moving a domain is tricky though, and they are only partially doing it until 2016. Upwork doesn't seem to have the presence and strength in search that Elance has. It's worrisome.

Community Guru
15 of 22
OK, thanks!
Community Guru
16 of 22

@Slavo T wrote:

It seems that most of you drive traffic to your own websites. Do you have any key as to how you target your audience? Lets say you are a designer, it is quite hard to select what your audience could be, right? Even on FB where you can select interests and age but it might not show your ad to the right people, I mean how would you target startuper or busienss owners? How do you go about this?

Slavo,

My "website" is essentially my business card: contact information, specialties, client list, résumé. I don't expect it to get any traffic I don't send there for information.

My marketing consists of participation in some Twitter groups whose interests I share. One of those netted me a standing writing gig—no Elance or Upwork involved. I have no reason to bring clients here.

Best,

Michael

edited to add: I used to say I loathed marketing. The trick was figuring out a form of it that was both pleasurable and worthwhile on its own merits—though I couldn't ignore hypothetical marketing benefits, my participation in the groups was driven by interest, and justified its place in my full schedule as pro bono work.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
17 of 22

I don't market myself as a freelancer. The way I see it... why put in a bunch of work on marketing yourself when that work is going to result in you having to do a bunch more work. When does it end?! If anything, I want to put in a bunch of work so I don't have to do any more work!

That's why I have a website that markets my products that I sell. I dabble in astrophysics in my spare time, love sci-fi and I'm mildly handy at making videos... so I make stock footage relating to space, astronomy and sci-fi. Although I take some liberties with the sci-fi stuff, I try and produce scientifically accurate videos... things spin in the right direction, are the right scale and distance from each other etc etc. For every one video out there that might be right, there's 100 more where the Moon and the Earth appear to be about 1000 miles from each other, the nearest star other than the sun is 10,000 miles away and the clouds move around the earth at 100,000 mph. 

But anyway... I have a website with blog posts, astronomy and vfx news, freebies, there's an incentive for signing up to the fortnightly newsletter, a Facebook page with 2000 likes and all of that drives traffic to my items. With a referral link of course!

I've hardly done anything with the site in a couple of months, been working hard on making new products which is going pretty well. Had a few referrals, sales are increasing by about 20% every month, and a bunch of my stuff is going to be in a documentary on Mars in the next couple of months. I've just about reached the point where I don't need to do any more freelance work and can just about survive purely on my footage sales. It's a bit too close for comfort though, so I'm still doing freelance work to supplement my income. Should be able to semi-retire within six months though.

But anyway, my point is that it is possible to market yourself without a multi-million dollar budget. Make a site, a Facebook page, generate interest, maybe have a newsletter etc. I'm not 100% sure whether the increased work will offset the increase in clients, but I'd be surprised if people didn't see any increase in clients.  

I think the key is to get people to sign up to your Facebook page, or newsletter, or Twitter even when they don't currently need your services... so you're in their minds when they do need your services. Difficult if they're not actively looking for you, but hey-ho. I'm no marketing expert though... always consult your doctor before following any of my advice.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
18 of 22

I write vicious, spiteful, hate-filled blog posts about anyone who's campaigning to have electronic cigarettes banned. Then people who sell electronic cigarettes email me and ask me to do all the product descriptions for their site. I never actually intended it as a marketing strategy, but so far this month it's got me more bookings than Elance and Upwork combined.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
19 of 22

That sounds fancy. I almost did a video for an e-cig company. Didn't happen in the end, but they sent me a big mega pack of all their stuff. That was nice of them. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
20 of 22

They can be very generous with bags of stuff. I'm waiting for some free liquids from California.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS