🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do you get legit jobs?
Page options
shaunacesarek
Community Member

How do you get legit jobs?

I have been having an incredibly hard time getting jobs that aren't scams. Am I the only one? It's getting rediculous. 

10 REPLIES 10
PradeepH

Hi Shauna,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience. Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
12a912ee
Community Member

Hi Shauna, You are not the only one finding it hard to get a job I am too. It's especially difficult if like me, you haven't had much experience and I am not very good at proposals yet either. I find it amusing when people say you need experience but clients don't give you a chance to get said experience. I even have a diploma in business administration as well.

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand how this could be a frustrating experience for you but this shouldn't be the reason for giving up on sending proposals. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi AJ,

Thanks for the reply I have read everything about profiles and how to write proposals- nothing helps and then I go and look at other freelancers profiles to see if I am on the right track only to find profiles with spelling mistakes are TOP Rated freelancers that get hired all the time. It all seems like a bit of a joke to me.  

Hi Melissa,

I understand your sentiments. But, looking at it, that says more about the clients than the freelancers as they won't get a job unless a client offers it to them- and that contributes to their current status such as Top Rated. It was the clients who rated them, not Upwork.

It's okay and it's valid to feel this way right now especially if you're exerting effort in creating proposals. Take this as an opportunity to check what needs improving and feel free to reach out here in the Community as we have a lot of experienced freelancers who are helping out newbies in improving their profiles, giving tips regarding proposals, etc.

~ AJ
Upwork

Same here. I'm tired and also scammed.

Right? And you can't accept really low paying jobs just to get experience because they are all scams. They don't make it easy to get your foot in the door here. I have no idea how people actually make any money here. 

Seems the bigger issue that's preventing you from getting hired more isn't scams, but the very low score and critical comment on your profile. The client's comment makes you look unreliable, claiming the last milestone was 6 weeks late, if you even did it at all.  So clients would be hesitant to hire you - nothing to do with scams. 

That was a bad client, but I was not able to challenge it with Upwork. 

Shauna C wrote:

And you can't accept really low paying jobs just to get experience because they are all scams.

No, they are not all scams. While it's true that freelancers at the lower end of the scale are more vulnerable, there are plenty of 'cheaper' clients out there who are legitimate and pay what they say they will pay.

You can't go using that as an excuse, because it's just not true.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members