🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How do you guys deal with clients wasting...
Page options
alijafark
Community Member

How do you guys deal with clients wasting your time in interviews?

Hello,

How do you deal with a client that doesnt respond or wasting your time in interview?

Aj

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Alijafar K wrote:

How do you deal with a client that doesnt respond or wasting your time in interview?

I don't let them waste much of my time, and if they don't respond I move on. Prospecting is part of the cost of doing business and needs to be factored into your rates. It's your selling process.

Any excessive interviewing gets cut short by telling the client that we can continue the consultation as a contract at my hourly rate.

Obviously it depends on the value of the contract. I do not waste any time "interviewing" for small contracts.

If the contract is multiple thousands, I jump through more hoops to secure it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Alijafar K wrote:

I don't let them waste much of my time, and if they don't respond I move on. Prospecting is part of the cost of doing business and needs to be factored into your rates. It's your selling process.

Any excessive interviewing gets cut short by telling the client that we can continue the consultation as a contract at my hourly rate.

Obviously it depends on the value of the contract. I do not waste any time "interviewing" for small contracts.

If the contract is multiple thousands, I jump through more hoops to secure it.

Thank You

hodgesh
Community Member

I send my messages and move on. Clients who don't respond get forgotten. I don't sit around waiting for them to respond.

browersr
Community Member

You don't really specify the type of interview. Where you run the most risk with time wasting is if the interview is via a voice/video call. If that is the case, I'd let the client know up-front that you can spend 10-15 minutes. Otherwise you also run the risk of providing paid consulting for free. There should be enough time to properly show you know your stuff without giving away too much. If the interview is back and forth in the messaging center, then it's even easier. If the client doesn't respond you simply move on. That takes no time. If they keep coming back to you with this small thing or that, you eventually have to let them know that you'd be happy to tackle those issues during the engagement. You may want to go so far as to tell them that if they have any last questions to help in determining your candidacy, to please ask otherwise it's time to move on. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths