cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you handle lack of authorship?

barman-elizabeth
Elizabeth B Member Since: Apr 26, 2019
11 of 15

Thanks for your input .. I was not aware that there was any need to include use in my portfolio as part of the contract. I think I understood you correctly on that....

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 15

re: "I was not aware that there was any need to include use in my portfolio as part of the contract"

Many new Upwork users are unaware of this.

But these portfolios are online, as part of a global website.

So the situation is different than if you just have a printout of a poster you designed and you show it to some potential new clients in your neighborhood.

Whether it is right or wrong, I can certainly understand if somebody adds work that they did into a physical portfolio that they carry around and show to people. They're probably not going to be called out on it.

But with our Upwork portfolios, we understand that we only want to include things that we either own the rights to or have permission to include there.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 15

Preston H wrote:

But with our Upwork portfolios, we understand that we only want to include things that we either own the rights to or have permission to include there.

So you actively encouraged the OP to just add the work to her portfolio without permission.... why exactly? To get her suspended?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 15

Preston H wrote:

Right. So you advised her to include it without any such permission... why, exactly? To get her suspended?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 15

Elizabeth B wrote:

Hi all - I think I may know the answer to this question, but I'm still new enough to this that I want to check w/ more seasoned people.... I recently wrote an article that I was told (in writing) I would receive authorship on. However, once the article was posted to the website it shows the name of the client as the author & I've been unsuccessful in attempting to get a response from him. Is there any recourse here & even if there is, is that worth it? I think I understand from others' questions that, as long as I make my best attempt to verify w/ the client, I can go ahead & put the piece in my portfolio, so in the long-run, does it really matter to have authorship attributed? 

Thanks!

It's story time!

I had this happen to me but the client put my name on it and then got some random picture and attributed it to me. He could have at least picked a hot chick, but of course not. 😠

I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Now, I think I'd be bothered more since some clients are nervous about fraud and search me. I'd be afraid that they'd think I was a fraud account.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS