cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you nicely ask a client to end a contract?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Susan S Member Since: Aug 22, 2020
11 of 14

I have three contracts that were not closed by the clients and are showing as "in progress".  They've been there for a while now.  Will they be closed after a certain amount of time?  Or do I just leave them?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 14

Susan S wrote:

I have three contracts that were not closed by the clients and are showing as "in progress".  They've been there for a while now.  Will they be closed after a certain amount of time?  

Just close one of them once in a while yourself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 14

Susan S wrote:

I have three contracts that were not closed by the clients and are showing as "in progress".  They've been there for a while now.  Will they be closed after a certain amount of time?  Or do I just leave them?

No, they don't get closed automatically. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
14 of 14

Joko S.,

After about a month of no work from them, I regularly ask idle clients to please close their projects if they don't need any more work from me in the foreseeable future. I tell them it is hard for me to get new projects if prospective clients think I am too busy to get their jobs completed on a timely basis.

Some clients reply that they're about to pick back up on their work with me.

Some clients apologize and close their projects.

Some clients don't respond at all. After waiting another month or so asking them one more time to close their project if there is no further work to be done, I close the projects myself.

I have never had a client complain about my request and this approach appears to have had little effect on my JSS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS