🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do you reply to your current client you a...
Page options
ys_shan
Community Member

How do you reply to your current client you are working with when they ask for a unpaid design test?

Hi all,

I've faced with one of this situation which really frustrated me, and actually kinda anger me as well. Not sure whether anyone of you have faced with this before. I need some advice if anyone of you have dealt with quite a similar case like mine before.

I am currently working on a website project with this client( he is a new client), but we work together for quite a few weeks now and he likes what I did for his website. It is still an ongoing project as there are many other pages for his website. But recently, this project is on hold for a while because he needs to check with his web developer that whether the design and interface are doable in developing the website. So while we are waiting for the feedback from his developer, he mentioned that he has another company with his partners. And he wanted to stop his current contract with his creative agency and pass it on to me in the future. He asked me is it possible to do an unpaid test on one sample of a blog article design page because he is trying to convince his business partners to let me work in this brand in the future....? To be honest, the first time when I read his message, I was angry, because this is like asking your freelancer to do a FOC job....... he has seen my previous work that I did for his website and he liked it,  yet now he asked me to do an unpaid test???

I am currently still thinking what and how to reply to his message as we are currently still working on his another company project, I don't want to jeopardize my another project with him now, but yet I can't accept this unpaid test request. It made me felt like he is taking advantage of me. And at the same time, I also hope that I can get this new project he had mentioned. 

How would you deal with this situation??  I would really appreciate you guys advice on this.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tell the client that you'll be happy to send samples from your portfolio, and if those aren't suitable, then you'll be happy to send him additional samples from your portfolio. If he doesn't take the hint, then just say that the job he's asking you to do would take X number of hours and unfortunately you can't provide something like that on spec. A lot of people seem to think that a "test" will only take you 15 minutes or so, and don't realize how much thought goes into a project; whereas if you say, "actually, that would take me about 3 hours" then they should understand why you're not willing to do it for free.

Having said that, I have a pretty firm policy against providing spec work myself, but I do make exceptions if it's going to be a steady client with thousands of dollars worth of work. I once invested an entire day coming up with a detailed proposal for a prospective client - including several samples - who then went on to pay me a small fortune over the years. So, sometimes it's worth it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
tlbp
Community Member

Oh, that is a difficult situation. 

I might try telling him that while I have time to finish his current project, I'm not available to take on new work so can't do the test. This may limit his willingness to work with you in the future but might get you through your current project without harm. 

Or, you could be honest with him and explain that you don't want to do free work to land the gig. He may just be asking you for the test because that's what the end client has requested and will understand if you say no. Do you have some previously prepared samples that you could offer as a substitute for a test set? 

ys_shan
Community Member

Hi Tonya,

Thanks for your advice! it helps me to think of proper ways to reply his message. Actually, the current project that I am working together with him is sort of similar, it just that the style of design will vary and I think perhaps his business partner is not convinced yet.

d173df1a
Community Member

I think both of your suggestions are reasonable and respectful.

datatraveler1
Community Member

Hi Yan,

You mention that the unpaid work is a "test". This implies not a full-fledged product but a sample. Would it be that harmful to spare the time required for a sample if it would lead to additional work?

If not, then I would advise to confidently tell the client that you are not able to help. Explanations are probably not needed to the client either.

Good luck

Tell the client that you'll be happy to send samples from your portfolio, and if those aren't suitable, then you'll be happy to send him additional samples from your portfolio. If he doesn't take the hint, then just say that the job he's asking you to do would take X number of hours and unfortunately you can't provide something like that on spec. A lot of people seem to think that a "test" will only take you 15 minutes or so, and don't realize how much thought goes into a project; whereas if you say, "actually, that would take me about 3 hours" then they should understand why you're not willing to do it for free.

Having said that, I have a pretty firm policy against providing spec work myself, but I do make exceptions if it's going to be a steady client with thousands of dollars worth of work. I once invested an entire day coming up with a detailed proposal for a prospective client - including several samples - who then went on to pay me a small fortune over the years. So, sometimes it's worth it.

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I agree with you, I think there are a lot of clients think that a "test" will take less than an hour or so, which they probably didn't consider the time that need to do research, go through the thought process and the time that need to execute the idea/design out.

I think your advice on how to reply client is a good way that I can try to implement. And, thanks for other advice too.

Hi Michael,

Yes, my client said is a test to convince his business partner because this is another business he owns with a business partner. Ya, I am thinking about that too. I think  I probably will tell him that I will provide my ideas and concept in draft sketches and do a proposal as a sample.

Thank you for your advice!

2eb19262
Community Member

How can i write for clients

Hi D- M,

Thank you for reaching out. You have to submit proposals to job listings. Once a client selects you for an interview, you can start conversing with them on the message center. Once they select you for a writing job, then you can start writing for the client.

~ AJ
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

I would just tell him that I wasn't available to work on the other project, so there would be no point in sending samples.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members