Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you report a scam on here?

skbarroso84
Seanna B Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
31 of 45

I had the

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

reach out to me today, asked interview questions, claimed it was a $28 hourly rate and then asked for my bank name and if I used mobile deposit. I did a google image reverse and found out they had used an image of a

from the link below as their google hangouts image:

The name on the Hangouts was

Thank you for posting this!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
32 of 45

Hi Seanna,

I found the job you are referring to and will forward the details to the team so they can review and take appropriate actions.

I had to edit names in your post according to the Community Guidelines.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 45

Seanna:

As soon as a "client" mentions Google Hangouts, you can just stop communicating with them, and save time.

Whenever newbie contractors receive invitations to interview using Google Hangouts it is a scam.

cymahasan
Saima H Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
34 of 45

**Edited for Community Guidelines** is a scam, they asked me to work with them, I wrote upto 20 articles and since the time of payment, that man is offline... kindly report him... money isnt a big issue, All i want is to keep others safe from this scam.. Pls help me community members...

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
35 of 45

Hi Saima,

Please note this client was removed from Upwork a week ago and unfortunately you weren't hired for the job you completed. Please make sure to start working only after being hired on Upwork and only accept to get paid through the platform. Please review these safety tips and note that working within Upwork ToS will ensure you avoid similar jobs going forward.

Untitled
c_faber
Carol F Member Since: Oct 30, 2018
36 of 45

I also had that happen to me this morning. I am new to Upwork and still learning how it works. Yesterday I got an offer for an interview from a proposal on Upwork. I was really excited to get my first job and was surprised when they contacted me through my email.  The interview was done through Google chat (which I thought was a little strange) and the person told me I was hired. I then received another email with an employment letter attached that I was supposed to sign.  My proposal to this client included my rate at $14 an hour and the letter stated they were paying me $30 an hour. As soon as I received this letter I knew in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong. In the letter, they said they would be doing my training this morning in the same chat form. When someone came on to train me and asked if I had emailed my letter I told them I had not and that I had some questions. I said that I am just trying to discover if this is a legitimate job offer from a legitimate company since I was contacted outside of Upwork, which is against their rules. They immediately blocked me from the chat.  They no longer have their post up so where do I go to report them? 

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
37 of 45

Hi Carol,

Thank you for this reporting. I was able to locate the job post you are referring to and will share it with our team for furder investigation! Please know that actions have been taken against the client's account for violating the Upwork Terms of Service. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
liveofflove
Hanna B Member Since: Sep 30, 2020
38 of 45

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME

HOW DO I REPORT THEM IF THE POSTING HAS BEEN DELETED!!

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
39 of 45

Hi Hanna,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
nehakkk
Neha K Member Since: Oct 21, 2019
40 of 45

i just had the same experience today they gave me a check and wanted to send it back to them to purchace a software.They were pretending to be **Edited for Community Guidelines** but i got to kow about it after i gave all my information to  then through a contract letter. how to i report them?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS