Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you report a scam on here?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
41 of 45

re: "how to i report them?"

Navigate to the job posting page. In the top right corner or under the "Three Dots" icon there is a "Flag as inappropriate" link button.

Click on that. Use that to report that the client sent you a check.

It is quite possible that somebody ELSE has already reported this job, in which case you may no longer be able to report them.

If you or anybody else reports this job and Upwork takes it down for violating Upwork ToS, then you will automatically receive connects back if you used connects to apply to the job.

For future reference:
It is a serious violation for you to accept a check from a client/prospective client. You are new, so I'm sure nothing will happen to you because of this. But keep in mind (for the future) that you could be suspended or have your account terminated for doing this.

shawc8
Crystal S Member Since: Jun 2, 2021
42 of 45

Hi Diamond,

Everything you wrote below happened to me 2 days ago. 

They corresponded with me through the 'Telegram' app and stated the job was for an Accounting position with Manpower Group Inc. I was asked for my personal information too and was told they would send me all the office equipment. What caught my eye was the job offer letter. There were a lot of typos. I read an online thread before moving forward with the company that stated that they will tell you that they are going to send you a check in the mail to purchase the office equipment with. But it will be a fraudulent check. As soon as I read this, I emailed the 'recuriter' I had been speaking with and asked if they will be sending me a check and he said the same thing that you said about 'building trust and seeing if I can follow directions.' I thanked him for his time and told him that I will not be accepting the job. As soon as I sent that message, I never heard from him again. 

This has to stop. I will be deactivating my account on here soon. I don't trust that I won't have anther person try and scam me. Scammers are getting good, because this was all very legit up until the purchasing office supplies part. 

jared_k
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
43 of 45

Why would you deactivate your account just because there are scammers on this platform? There are scammers everywhere, and probably some live in your neighborhood. Honestly, I've worked on some of the other freelance platforms and this has the least amount of scammers - you just have to ignore and report them. 

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
44 of 45

Hi Crystal,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Good luck! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
yura_1
Yura K Member Since: Jun 2, 2021
45 of 45

I understand what you are talking about. Unfortunately it happens sometimes. I had a pretty similar coversation with this email address  **Edited for Community Guidelines** so be careful. Luckily all I lost it's my time. But it's really annoying.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS