Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

How does Payment for Manually logged time work on Client's end?

Active Member
Manish S Member Since: Aug 21, 2019
1 of 4

Manual time is enabled by the client but my client doesn't know how to check/approve the manual logged time. The client has agreed to pay for the manul time. Since he didn't know how to check/approve the manual time, I got paid only for the automatically tracked time this week. What should I do now? On the client's end, where dd they the option to approve the manually logged time?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

Manish S wrote:

Manual time is enabled by the client but my client doesn't know how to check/approve the manual logged time. The client has agreed to pay for the manul time. Since he didn't know how to check/approve the manual time, I got paid only for the automatically tracked time this week. What should I do now? On the client's end, where dd they the option to approve the manually logged time?


Clients do not have to approve manual time.

As long as you did not log manual time in excess of the weekly limit, it is paid automatically in exactly the same way as tracked time. No approval needed.

 

Obviously manual time in excess of the weekly limit is not paid at all, just as tracked time in excess of the weekly limit is not paid.

 

If that is the case (you added time in excess of the weekly limit) for the previous week, the client has to pay you as a bonus.

If it is manual time in excess of the weekly limit for this current week, the client only has to increase the weekly limit.

 

Please bear in mind that manual time is not protected in any way.

 

Active Member
Manish S Member Since: Aug 21, 2019
3 of 4
As per my contract, 10 hours were the total hours allowed in a week. Of 10 hours, 8 hours were tracked by UpWork while 2 hours were manually added. At the end of the week it was sent for the review to the client. And after Friday, when checked, amount for only 8 hours were showing. My client said he didn't do anything.
Also, what does it mean when you say, manual time is not protected ? If manual time was enabled by client and as per your reply client is automatically invoiced for that then what does it mean?
Please let me know and thank you for your response.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 4

Manish S wrote:
As per my contract, 10 hours were the total hours allowed in a week. Of 10 hours, 8 hours were tracked by UpWork while 2 hours were manually added. At the end of the week it was sent for the review to the client. And after Friday, when checked, amount for only 8 hours were showing.

Presumably you know that Upwork takes a 20% fee? So "the amount" for 10 hours work will always show as 8 x your hourly rate for the first $ 500 with any one client?

 

If that's not it, you may have added the two hours either in the wrong contract (happens all the time, whenever I can't find manual time I've added it to the wrong contract), or didn't do it correctly.

 


Manish S wrote:

Also, what does it mean when you say, manual time is not protected ?

It means manual time is not protected. If the client fails to pay or disputes or later does a chargeback, manual time is not paid / is taken back from you.

 

 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS