cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a US citizen living outside the US find clients?

fischer_joyce
Joyce F Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
1 of 5

I understand why some employers might want to hire only freelancers living in the US.  I am a US citizen retaining all my finances in the US.  As a frelancer, I too prefer contecting only with those living in the US, or to  be exact, clients who transacts business in US currency. Since that is my tax address and the  country where I can lmost easily find clients, the "only applicants living in the US" category presents a problem. 

Is there a work around, perhaps submitting my passport as ID?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Joyce F wrote:

1) I understand why some employers might want to hire only freelancers living in the US. 

2) I am a US citizen retaining all my finances in the US.  As a frelancer, I too prefer contecting only with those living in the US, or to  be exact, clients who transacts business in US currency.

3) Since that is my tax address and the  country where I can lmost easily find clients, the "only applicants living in the US" category presents a problem. 

Is there a work around, perhaps submitting my passport as ID?

1) If you're not in the US you are not in the US. That's the end of that.

2) Why would you care when you are paid via Upwork in US Dollars?

3) If you are not in the US then quite obviously you are not "located in the US" and that's all there is to it.

The preference is not for nationality (which would be rather disgusting and illegal on top) but for location.

If you are not in the specified location obviously you are not in the specified location.

fischer_joyce
Joyce F Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
3 of 5

Petra,

There's no need to be condescending. #1 and #3 are the same. 

I don't think the issue is nationality.; it's communication. It takes years to be fluent in a language. For some jobs this is not a problem. For writers it is. A writer has to not only be fluent in the language, they also need to know the culture. Employers have requirements for practical purposes, not out of prejudice.

Cool off. It was a reasonable question. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

Joyce F wrote:Employers have requirements for practical purposes, not out of prejudice.

The requirement is for location. If you do not live in the US, you don't fulfill it and asking for ways to cheat the system ("work-around") is not the way forward.

What in the world makes you think you should be  from something that affects millions of freelancers who do not live in the US? If it was about language, how about Canadians, Brits, Australians, Irish freelancers etc?

Being a US Citizen somehow makes you worthy of an exception? Seriously?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Joyce,

The location selection feature is meant to connect clients with freelancers located in a certain country. Again, it's based on the location not the country of origin. Please, make sure your profile represents your actual location. The team will also reach out to you directly with more information.

All, a couple of posts on this thread have been removed or edited because they were in violation of Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS