Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does escrow for fixed-price jobs work? Client has disappeared

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
1 of 7

What happens, if the work is done (in a timely fashion) AND submitted, but no milestone has been approved and the client went wholly unresponsive?

I remember something, like "after 14 days of unresponsiveness, all due payment will be issued to the freelancer". Is that right?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Gabor,

That is correct. As long as you submit the work and request payment through the system, even if your client doesn't release the payment manually and doesn't request changes, it will be released to you automatically 14 days after the submission.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 7

Thank you for this quick reply very much, Valeria! 
I would have one more question, though: if I close the contract after the escrow completes, will it affect my Job Success score negatively? I have 91% JS score now and don't want to risk my Top Rated status because of them.
But they don't look that great in the "in progress" section, either..for obvious reasons.
Thank you again in advance!

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 7

And one more quick one, if you don't mind:

If the payment is released through escrow, is there still a 6-day security period for funds, before they become available for payout?

Highlighted
5 of 7

Hi Gabor,

I would suggest first trying to contact your clients and asking them to close the contracts. That way they would have to leave feedback for you. However, if you do not hear back from the clients, you can go ahead and close the contracts yourself. As long as contracts without feedback are not the majority of contracts in your Work History, your Job Success score should be alright.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 7

Sounds great! Does that mean, that if they are not the majority, then the JS score will be totally unaffected by the closures?

Thank you very much again!

Highlighted
7 of 7

That's right, Gabor. Only if there is an excess of contracts closed without feedback, it would affect the Job Success score negatively. You can read more about it in this recent blog post.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS