🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How does starting a new contract with the...
Page options
maytes
Community Member

How does starting a new contract with the SAME CLIENT affect Upwork fees?

I have a question, if a client closes a contract and opens a new one in order to change the title of the contract, would I lose the reduced Upwork fees of 5%? would I have to pay 20% again even if it's the same client? Thank you

Note by moderator: This thread has now been closed. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the question, Maria Teresa!

Please note that the service fee is based on your lifetime billings with each client, including all contracts you’ve ever had or will have with them. As long as the client hires you from the same account/client-company, the same 5% service fee will continue to be applied as on your previous contract.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the question, Maria Teresa!

Please note that the service fee is based on your lifetime billings with each client, including all contracts you’ve ever had or will have with them. As long as the client hires you from the same account/client-company, the same 5% service fee will continue to be applied as on your previous contract.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
maytes
Community Member

Thank you very much for clarifying my doubts Vladimir)

40113a20
Community Member

Hello - since this is an old thread, is this still vaild in 2022 going into 2023? Fees based on lifetime billing with same client. (Ie: if i'm in 10% range, still be charged 10% until i clear over 10k with same client, even if increased fee/new contract?) Thanks!

Yes, that is correct Amy! 

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a sliding fee based on your total lifetime billings with a client. This includes all contracts you’ve ever had or will have with them for as long as the client hires you from the same account/client company.

Here’s how it works:

• $0-$500 in earnings from a client: 20% service fee applied to earnings
  • $500.01-$10,000 in earnings from a client: 10% service fee
  • $10,000.01 or more in earnings from a client: 5% service fee

Feel free to check this help article for more updated details about the process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths