cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the photo on my profile affect the number of jobs I could get ?

erebusguitar
Nestor David C Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
1 of 13
Lately , I Have been thinking of how much my photo affects the chance to get more and better jobs , I mean , I am not look professional enough , I look too young , too old , etc . I could be one of the best freelancers a client could hire in a particular area . However, my image might not reflect so . How you should look , what are the clients looking for apart of someone to do the job , what are they evaluating when they hire someone . I know they look for the best service at the best price . But , what about this ? we are selling our sevice , we offer a solution , but at the same time we are selling an image when we apply for a job. How the picture in your profile prevent or lead to get more and better jobs.
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
2 of 13
If the goal is to be treated as a professional, which it should be, then every aspect of your profile should appear professional. Your picture does not. Honestly, you look somewhat like a thug, and I could see why clients may have trouble trusting you based only off that. If you don't want to shave, remove the earring, and get a haircut or pull it back, at least tone it down as much as possible for the picture and soften it by smiling. You don't have to change who you are, but you should present yourself as professionally as possible in a professional situation. Also, you do some work with writing. You would do better to fix up the text on you profile and work on fixing some habits. In particular, your spacing around punctuation marks. For instance, "12.000 people ,100 % accuracy. ( You" should be "12.000 people, 100% accuracy. (You" (Please note that this fix only addresses spacing issues). Instilling habits that fix that should be relatively easy and will make you look much more professional for any type of job.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 13
Look at photos of other freelancers and how their faces are angled toward the camera. Your posture in your photo looks threatening.
coffman-robin
4 of 13
This is very true. I agree 100% [quote=Marcia Malory]Your posture in your photo looks threatening.[/quote] It is late here, and I couldn't think of how to word that properly. I wanted to say something, but I just kept thinking "look at the camera," which he already is doing. This is one of the most disturbing aspects of the photo.
eugene_bazhenov
Ace Contributor
Eugene B Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
5 of 13

Hi! I have actually looked through a little over 100 good oDesk profiles in my field. I still have a challenge choosing the best profile photo. Could you guys, give a feedback whether this photo could work? I'd really appreciate your honest and straightforward feedbacks!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 13

Hi Eugene,

Both the photo you have on your profile currently and the one you attached to your post are definitely in compliance with oDesk Policies and look very professional.

~ Valeria
Upwork
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
7 of 13
My pic sucks, so pls don't even bother re-commenting on mine after I say this haha...but, the way I see it if your ideal client of someone who live in (for example) North America, has a decent amount of money and can afford to hire long term without giving you too much drama... then have a look at some pictures of popular male authors that middle aged people in NA love the most. How do they pose? What are they wearing? What sort of background are they using? Where are the eyes looking? What emotion do they portray etc etc... Find out who or what your ideal client wants to be, and be that person. People are judgmental and shallow by nature, it's just the human beast. Unfortunately looks alone can easily be enough to win or lose a bid
coffman-robin
8 of 13
There you go. What a difference. Now you look like someone who is approachable and easy to work with.
jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 13

After posting a job today and seeing people photos I was shocked that two of them were using video game avatars. 

I didn't think this was allowed by odesk but maybe I'm wrong. 

I would never hire someone with an avatar photo and I'm a gamer myself.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 13
ODesk doesn't allow contractors the use avatars these days, but there are still grandfathered-in holdovers from when they were less strict about this.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS