cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How early ended contract affect my job success score?

wilsontang
Wilson T Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
1 of 5

Hi all,

I am in a fixed price contract and have one milestone with partial payment. It is not going too well currently. I would like to know how my job success score will be affected in a few different contract ending scenerio.

Scenerio 1

I haven't got any payment yet and I end the contract.

Can the client still leave a feedback on the job that affect my score?

If he can't, is there any other thing he can do to affect my score?

Scenerio 2

I have got the partial payment of the milestone and I end the contract.

In this case, he can write a negative feedback and affect my score, right?

Scenerio 3

I have got the partial payment and then refund all of them to the client.

Can the client still leave a feedback in this case?

What is the difference between this scenerio and scenerio 1?

One extra question. Is that can the client refuse any refund request?

Thanks,

Wilson

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
2 of 5

In all of these situations, the client can leave private feedback. Private feedback does affect your score.

If you keep even $1, the client's feedback may show on your profile. If you fully refund the client, then no feedback will show on your profile. But be aware that the private feedback still affects your score and you didn't earn any money.

If you close the contract, he doesn't have to leave feedback but he may. If the client closes the contract, then he has to leave feedback.

I don't know whether a client can refuse a refund. The ideal is to work things out with the client if at all possible.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 5

@Samantha S wrote:

The ideal is to work things out with the client if at all possible.

Absolutely. Percentages, and stars, and check marks... are all well and good, but 'doing the right thing' is more important.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 5

Hi Wilson, 

Samantha is correct. The client will still be able to leave private feedback regardless of the scenario. I would recommend that you communicate with your client so that both of you can settle this amicably. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mchungfat
Melissa C Member Since: May 8, 2017
5 of 5

Hi,

I am in a similar situation because I asked all the questions and managed expectations with a client before I took the contract but I am now discovering he is very difficult and not worth the time. I think he will leave me a bad review anyway whether I cancel the contract or not. But I worry this could affect my Upwork score. 

Like you I would rather not take a dollar and cancel the contract but I may see how things pan out too. 

Another client was happy with my work for a small and quick project but he has not yet approved so I don't have any 5-star ratings yet to start from.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS