🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » How easy or difficult is it for a client to c...
Page options
69297078
Member

How easy or difficult is it for a client to change contract from fixed price to hour.

A question for freelancers who are also clients here on Upwork.

 

I have a completed (but open) job with a client who wants new changes.  Is is possible (and easy) for him to change the project type to "hourly" from this point forward?........... or is it better to close this job and start a new one?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Member


@Richard H wrote:

A question for freelancers who are also clients here on Upwork.

 

I have a completed (but open) job with a client who wants new changes.  Is is possible (and easy) for him to change the project type to "hourly" from this point forward?...........


 It is both possible and very easy.

 

The client goes to Jobs > All Contracts > the contract with you > and clicks on the "change to hourly" link right there on the contract.

 

This will do something that will initially look alarming to you, namely a "no feedback given" contract, but as soon as the first payment under the hourly contract is made the two will merge and show as one ongoing contract again, so don't worry about that.

 

Of course you can always go the other route, which is close the contract, leave glowing feedback for each other, then the client just clicks on the great big "Re-hire a freelancer" button on the top right of their interface and chooses you, and sets up the contract as an hourly one.

 

The latter take a few more clicks, but gives you an extra closed with feedback contract.

Up to you and the client, either works nicely.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Member


@Richard H wrote:

A question for freelancers who are also clients here on Upwork.

 

I have a completed (but open) job with a client who wants new changes.  Is is possible (and easy) for him to change the project type to "hourly" from this point forward?...........


 It is both possible and very easy.

 

The client goes to Jobs > All Contracts > the contract with you > and clicks on the "change to hourly" link right there on the contract.

 

This will do something that will initially look alarming to you, namely a "no feedback given" contract, but as soon as the first payment under the hourly contract is made the two will merge and show as one ongoing contract again, so don't worry about that.

 

Of course you can always go the other route, which is close the contract, leave glowing feedback for each other, then the client just clicks on the great big "Re-hire a freelancer" button on the top right of their interface and chooses you, and sets up the contract as an hourly one.

 

The latter take a few more clicks, but gives you an extra closed with feedback contract.

Up to you and the client, either works nicely.

Thanks Petra.

 

 

This is my clients first job here and I'm sure he would have trouble doing this without specific instructions.

I've found that some of my clients are happier if I provide a screen shot detailing the steps. That isn't always possible of course, but steps that some think are simple can seem counterintuitive to others. 


@Richard H wrote:

 

This is my clients first job here and I'm sure he would have trouble doing this without specific instructions.


 Just ask if either of you run into any glitches 🙂

I'll let you know if he has problems.

 

Clients wanting changes weeks or months after the project is finished and paid for is happening more often in my type of work (modeling and rendering architectural buildings). The changes are often small and can be changed in the model easily and quickly, but they inherently expect a new rendering to show the changes. The hi-res renderings can take several hours if the file is complex. I expect to be paid for this extra time.  By changing the contract to hourly after that long an absence, they realize that small changes tend to add up quickly. 


@Richard H wrote:

I'll let you know if he has problems.

 

Clients wanting changes weeks or months after the project is finished and paid for is happening more often in my type of work (modeling and rendering architectural buildings). The changes are often small and can be changed in the model easily and quickly, but they inherently expect a new rendering to show the changes. The hi-res renderings can take several hours if the file is complex. I expect to be paid for this extra time.  By changing the contract to hourly after that long an absence, they realize that small changes tend to add up quickly. 


 Richard, if I'm understanding you correctly, your solution is likely to raise other issues, since you'll end up with long-term inactive contracts if you're keeping those hourly jobs open for clients to return after weeks or months. If this is common to many of your clients, you could take a real hit on your JSS.