🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How is PROJECT CATALOG working for everyone?
Page options
d_landon
Community Member

How is PROJECT CATALOG working for everyone?

I would be interested to know how PROJECT CATALOG is going for Upwork, generally, and for clients and freelancers, particularly. It seemed like there were a lot of bugs and some important missing features when they first rolled it out. Anyone care to share their experience or feedback? If you're a client, are you finding it to be an effective way to find and hire freelancers to get your projects done? If you're a freelancer, how's it working for you? Are you getting work? Is the process relatively straightforward and free of issues?

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nothing I have seen makes me want to use it. Looks like it still has a lot of problems.

Even if all the kinks are worked out, I don't think I'm in the right niche for it to be of any use to me.

I couldn't find a use for it. Also my rating there is 4.9 while all my public reviews are 5...

That would be annoying. We work hard to earn and maintain that 5.0 rating. Our success or failure is directly tied to it.

I wonder, is it still in beta?

David, I think Project Catalog is out of beta.

But it still feels beta.

This represents a major new product offering for Upwork. It is not part of the Upwork culture. It takes time for something so different to emerge into its own and rise above new-product problems. No matter how excellent the idea is. I'm not saying that this is an excellent idea for Upwork. But whether it is or not, it will take time for Upwork and it's user community to figure it out.

I agree, Preston. It definitely feels beta.

I do think Project Catalog has the potential to be a valuable addition to Upwork for many, if not all, freelancer categories, but it has a ways to go before really starts showing its value.

I assume they are patterning it after that other popular freelance platform which shall remain unnamed. (The one that allows freelancers to market their "gigs".) Be that as it may, I hope Upwork will think in terms of not simply competing, i.e., providing a similar experience, but excelling with a unique offering that is superior in features, functionality, and benefits to clients and freelancers.

Easy to armchair quarterback it, I know, but it seems like they could do quite a bit better than they are doing so far. I sure hope they get it together and work out the kinks in the very near future as my business has dropped off to next to nothing in recent months and I'm in desperate need of all the help I can get in terms of connecting with new clients. I was excited when Project Catalog launched, but now I'm wondering if my time would be better spent on other marketing channels(!)

David

P.S. Hey - I just checked out your profile and watched your introductory video. Great stuff! Nice job of taking what to many might seem obscure and making it fun and more accessible!

towermutasa
Community Member

Gave up on it. They seem to require pictures for your catalog, but my field of work doesn't really involve images.

I firstly tried using a graph from one of my portfolio items as a cover image. It was rejected because it apparently had nothing to do with what I was offering.

I then took screenshots of my portfolio articles, and they were rejected because too much text. Go figure.

So no, I don't use it. Like the others have said, I think it is more suited to some fields than it to others.

Thank's for your response, Tawanda. You guys might be right in that Project Catalog is more suited to some fields than others. As a voice actor it seems that I should be able to benefit, however, I've run into similar isses as you, i.e., cover images rejected because of "too much text" (and it seems like there was another issue as well, if I recall correctly.) Also, as a voice talent, the ability to share my audio demos (or video versions of same) is an essential part of the process of getting hired by new clients. Unfortunately, Upwork' Projects do not allow for uploading or linking to audio files. Seems like an obvious thing to include, not only for voice actors. I would think freelancers in other fields might have need of sharing audio files with prospective clients. They do now allow one video to be uploaded. I think that's a new addition. So there is that.

Ah, well!

rafsun_ug
Community Member

As a freelancer, I got 4 projects from my project catalogs. Among those 4 clients, 3 contracts were created as a fixed price rate. One contract was directly purchased by the client. In a direct order, when the client confirmed the order, you will also get an option to submit the project and can request the payment that will come to you after 14 days similar to the fixed price rate. The difference is that a client can end a contract without giving feedback. Also, it will show in the profile and it has effects on the JSS.
Somehow from the last few months, I am not getting that many new clients by sending proposals. But I got some jobs from the project catalog.
And hopefully, you noticed that every job gets 20 to 50 proposal within a few minutes, and on the other hand, almost every client send dew invitations while posting a job. So, to win a job by sending proposals is getting harder day by day.
Also, I think there might be many clients who are bothered to have a ton of proposals. They might like to walk on the project catalog field in the future.
I think it's not bad.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members