🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How is it fair for new freelancer ?
Page options
bjeh700
Community Member

How is it fair for new freelancer ?

So if I could tell my story about my beginner freelancing journey in Upwork, I am satisfied and as well as I am disappointed.

I got a rising talent badge in 15 days of working on Upwork but I lost it within 2days of getting it.

How did I lose?

A client invited me for an interview, I gave an interview, and then he offered me a 15$ project for logo design and I submitted the variations of the design for him to review which I have created by using my 3 hours of time and went offline, and tomorrow morning as when I wake up I see the notification about client wanted a refund. without any messages, without any communication he wanted the refund.

I mean he could have messaged something or should have communicated better and when I messaged him that what was the reason for the refund? and he just replied just give my money back (in escrow) and I simply refunded his money . and my jss came up as 82% and lost rising talent badge and now it's hard to land the job as well 😞 

My previous clients were all happy with my work and gave me a 5star rating and in my stats, I have 100% of clients who recommend you as well.

I mean as being a freelancer where did I do something wrong? 

I lost 3 hours, (no pay for work)

I lost my Rising talent badge 

Now my jss is 82% .and its hard for me to land the job 

So stay in my shoes and think was it fair? how is it fair for a new freelancer like me?

what would you do, if you were me?

I am so sad 😞

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bijaya, in addition to what Jennifer has suggested, you should know that the rising talent badge is temporary and any new freelancer that has been given this badge, loses it as soon as they get a JSS.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jr-translation
Community Member

Bijaya S wrote:

So if I could tell my story about my beginner freelancing journey in Upwork, I am satisfied and as well as I am disappointed.

I got a rising talent badge in 15 days of working on Upwork but I lost it within 2days of getting it.

How did I lose?

A client invited me for an interview, I gave an interview, and then he offered me a 15$ project for logo design and I submitted the variations of the design for him to review which I have created by using my 3 hours of time and went offline, and tomorrow morning as when I wake up I see the notification about client wanted a refund. without any messages, without any communication he wanted the refund.

I mean he could have messaged something or should have communicated better and when I messaged him that what was the reason for the refund? and he just replied just give my money back (in escrow) and I simply refunded his money . and my jss came up as 82% and lost rising talent badge and now it's hard to land the job as well 😞 

My previous clients were all happy with my work and gave me a 5star rating and in my stats, I have 100% of clients who recommend you as well.

I mean as being a freelancer where did I do something wrong? 

I lost 3 hours, (no pay for work)

I lost my Rising talent badge 

Now my jss is 82% .and its hard for me to land the job 

So stay in my shoes and think was it fair? how is it fair for a new freelancer like me?

what would you do, if you were me?

I am so sad 😞

The client requested a refund and you agreed to refund him. That was your decision and noone forced you to do anythink. Sound pretty fair to me.
Spend some time to read the ToS and you might figure out why your profile needs some changes in the portfolio section.

Bijaya, in addition to what Jennifer has suggested, you should know that the rising talent badge is temporary and any new freelancer that has been given this badge, loses it as soon as they get a JSS.

Oh thank you, I didn't knew about this.

yes i have read Tos but being new to Upwork doesn't; mean you'll know everything at start right?

I learned my lesson

and would you elaborate what do you mean by changes in portfolio i am confused

bjeh700
Community Member

I was confused , beacuse i already made that business card design and wanted to show in my portofolio and i uploaded it , after a while i realised that , and i just had some work done and removed the contact details as well 😁 , thank you for the information and hope this message gets to other new freelancers as well

Bijaya S wrote:
I was confused , beacuse i already made that business card design and wanted to show in my portofolio and i uploaded it , after a while i realised that , and i just had some work done and removed the contact details as well 😁 , thank you for the information and hope this message gets to other new freelancers as well

Wow, that was quick.
Best of luck in the future. Next time ask in the forum before refunding a client.
If you want to reach more people, you could try to add English to your video. Smiley Wink

dezignmate
Community Member

Thanks Bijaya to share your experence. I am also a new in upwork and try to get upwork rising talent badge, already 2 months past. In your experience please tell it is possible to get upwork rising talent badge now and afterward. But its a great issue learning from your post that; before refund make decision wisely.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md Ibrahim, 

The Rising Talent status is assigned automatically when a freelancer meets the requirements listed here. This process is working as designed and we can't specify a reason why a freelancer is or isn't eligible for the badge. Once you qualify, you should receive a notification letting you know. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I don't know how i got it because i don't really know how upwork algorithm works , but as for my experience i got upwork rising talent badge when i completed my first 5 jobs , and i had 100% client who recommend you in my stats page . And as per Nicola's information , you will likely lose your rising talent badges as soon you get jss . So if you have jss already you might not get one but you can aim for top rated badges .

Its really sad to see that when top freelancers apply for the job, mail will be sent from UpWork. And also when client does login, misleading tab client can see, where all the top rated freelancers were mentioned.. and client wont see the applied people list.

That makes impossible for the new people to get a job in UpWork.

tlsanders
Community Member

You did something wrong by blindly refunding his money instead of learning about how Upwork works and going through the dispute process. 

What I would do now is educate myself about the platform before taking on any new clients in order to avoid making further mistakes.

marero27
Community Member

I am a new freelancer, but for me think I think it depends on the services you can give as a newbie. As long as I get the experience. I'm working hard to gain what I deserve. for now everything is difficult but the more I gain experience. it will lead me to my goal in life.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths