cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the feedback score calculated? A revengeful client's score has drastically reduced my overall score!

Highlighted
Sally R Member Since: Mar 5, 2015
11 of 24

Yeah - I agree.

However - doesn't it stop you from coming up as readily in search results?

Highlighted
Sally R Member Since: Mar 5, 2015
12 of 24

hmmm....Call me "old school," but if I were hiring, I'd only want to look at the 5-star folks.

Highlighted
Saad K Member Since: Jun 13, 2015
13 of 24

Hi Marci I am new to odesk can you please help me out ....

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 24

Hi Saad and welcome to the Community!

We will be happy to help you. Could you please tell us more about your issue?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
15 of 24
i hope you're treating this as a tongue-in-cheek reply. this kind of advice shouldn't be handed out irresponsibly, most established freelancers on here that i know consider this as sort of a last resort, and not the immediate solution.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
16 of 24
Very bad advice Ramon. Some jobs are done perfectly, others leave some room for improvement. Refunding on a 4 star rating would be really silly unless the freelancer feels he did a bad job and does not deserve to be paid. There is the option to respond to the rating. Nirvaya, you have 5 jobs in progress; 5 star ratings in all of those may get you back up to 4.5. You only need .04 - so don't panic yet ;-). The comment is "Good Job" so I don't believe this will frighten off potential clients. Also there is nothing stopping you from applying for those 4.5 star minimum jobs. The client may reject you for not meeting the requirement ... but for .04 points? Not likely.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
17 of 24
"most established freelancers on here that I know consider this as sort of a last resort, and not the immediate solution." and "Refunding on a 4 star rating would be really silly unless the freelancer feels he did a bad job and does not deserve to be paid." Couldn't agree more with both
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
18 of 24
:-(
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
19 of 24
You do know that a freelancer who refunds A LOT, can end up getting suspended? It means many unhappy clients. oDesk does keep track of that. You should not make it a habit. Also many clients do not trust or hire someone with a 5.0. I was burned myself by one who did not even start my job and "refunded". Only problem is she has never had the money in her account so I will be owed that 'refund' till the day I die. Also, if you do not have the money in your account when you refund, your account is financially suspended, meaning you cannot withdraw any money until your debt is paid back. All in all, I would say use it as a last resort.
Highlighted
Giovanni G Member Since: Apr 29, 2014
20 of 24
"By the way, a 4 star is not bad. It means you did good but not excellent work." Thank you for pointing this out. I've had several freelancers all-but demand 5* on every category for only average work. I will now try to avoid hiring anyone with full 5* average because it's clear proof they have not had constructive feedback (and maybe feel entitled to a high rating and will work poorly because of it). Someone with a high 4* rating (while still likely riding inflated scores) at least has had some clients who give transparent feedback and they are still able to maintain a high score (even if through volume of other false 5* ratings). To be clear 4* DOES mean you did excellent work, and 5* means EXCEPTIONAL.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS