cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is this right?

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 10

We want to pay around $1.75 an hour because you can be working on other projects during this time. 

This was posted one day ago. 

Is this right to offer under the minimum just because someone has another gig? I don't think so but I don't know the ins and outs of Upwork that well. I do understand that people who worked for the company before at the old rate or this one could work at the same rate but what about other people who are qualified that can't survice on 1.75 an hour? I don't even think anyone in another country could survive on that amount actually. lol. 

Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
2 of 10

That can't be right. I've noticed several jobs that pay below minimum wage (US), but that's outrageous. I just started here but I would never work for that amount, no matter how many other projects I have going on "at the same time" (as if I had one hand operating two laptops at the same time). After taxes, insurance, and overhead, I would be paying out of my own pocket to take that job. Obviously, not worth it.

Community Guru
3 of 10

Hi Brianna, 

I know rates are really low here and this is with the minimum wage at $3 now! lol.. I did work for 1.11 an hour when I first started but that was to get into the swing of things and to give me a bit of encouragment in a way. I had a really nice client and when he's up and running again I'll work for him again...except he'll have to pay me close to my current rate and if he doesn't no hard feelings yaknow? If people are to have a good quality of life they have to make a decent amount of money no matter what profession they're in or no matter what country they're in. 

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
4 of 10

@Briana R wrote:

That can't be right. I've noticed several jobs that pay below minimum wage (US), but that's outrageous. I just started here but I would never work for that amount, no matter how many other projects I have going on "at the same time" (as if I had one hand operating two laptops at the same time). After taxes, insurance, and overhead, I would be paying out of my own pocket to take that job. Obviously, not worth it.

Briana,

Minimum wages are for employees, not for independent contractors. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 10

Hi Mariska and Briana,

We do have a minimum rate of $3/hour on Upwork, so the client will not be able to make an offer to a freelancer for a rate lower than that. Additionally, hourly contracts assume that the time logged on a certain contract was spent working on that contract. I suggest you flag the job, so the team can follow up with the client and have them revise the job posting.

Thank you very much.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
6 of 10

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for responding Woman Happy and yes I defintely did flag it and many others that I see that are similar.

One thing though. I noticed there is a 'free work' check box, but I think there should be a check box saying something like 'paying under minimum rate' or something to that effect. Will there be more categories to choose from in future? 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 10

re: "We want to pay around $1.75 an hour because you can be working on other projects during this time."

For $1.75 per hour I would be willing to wear a T-shirt with your company's logo on it, while I do my other work... But I could not do this using the time tracker, so the client would need to pay me using a fixed-price contract.

For an extra fee, I won't wear my button-down shirt and tie over the T-shirt.

This is on the honor system. I'm not offering to appear on webcam or anything.

Community Guru
8 of 10

Your offer sounds like a bargain at any price Preston but you didn't mention any charges for pants etc.... Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 10

Valeria,

You left out they can offer that low of a wage if they are fixed price contracts. The new minimum $3 fixed hourly jobs for that issues, but it has not stopped those lowballers from offering that rate via fixed price.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
10 of 10

@Mariska P wrote:

We want to pay around $1.75 an hour because you can be working on other projects during this time. 

This was posted one day ago. 

Is this right to offer under the minimum just because someone has another gig? I don't think so but I don't know the ins and outs of Upwork that well. I do understand that people who worked for the company before at the old rate or this one could work at the same rate but what about other people who are qualified that can't survice on 1.75 an hour? I don't even think anyone in another country could survive on that amount actually. lol. 

They can. Have a look at India or Bangladesh.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS