🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How long does a client have to pay you?
Page options
a_ferdinardo
Community Member

How long does a client have to pay you?

I've been writing articles for a client and this is the first time she has not paid me yet. The job was due this past Wed (it's now Friday) and I submitted the article to her the Sunday before. I've reached out to her twice and although it looks like she has been online, she isn't responding to me and I have not been paid. How long should I wait before requesting payment or filing some sort of complaint? 

4 REPLIES 4
9b660019
Community Member

Is the contract hourly, or fixed price? Upwork has documentation on both.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063748-Fixed-Price-Protection

For fixed price contracts, so long as the milestone is funded in escrow you will be paid after 14 days if the client does nothing. (EDIT: This assumes you submitted the milestone for payment after sending the work to your client. If not, be sure to do so.)

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063668-Get-Paid-for-Hourly-Contracts

The timeline is different for hourly contracts, but the concept is similar - so long as you aren't exceeding the weekly limit, the client will be invoiced and you will be paid if the client does nothing.

In either situation, you will eventually get paid unless the client explicitly raises an issue.

Thank you! I submitted it to her in messages, so I will be sure to submit the work order. It is a fixed price. 

Angela F wrote:

Thank you! I submitted it to her in messages, so I will be sure to submit the work order. It is a fixed price. 

If the milestone is fully funded, you'll be fine. Use the "submit work for payment" function - then you get paid when the client releases the money or after 14 days if the client goes missing.

I always use that right off the bat. There is no upside to sending the work any other way.

timefighter11
Community Member

Angela F wrote:

I've been writing articles for a client and this is the first time she has not paid me yet. The job was due this past Wed (it's now Friday) and I submitted the article to her the Sunday before. I've reached out to her twice and although it looks like she has been online, she isn't responding to me and I have not been paid. How long should I wait before requesting payment or filing some sort of complaint? 

Hay,   The milestone will be approved automatically after 14 days and payment in escrow will be released to you if the client don't approve it  in this time. So, just wait only.  You must "Submit Work for Payment" first. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members