cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it usually take to get hired?

breanne-joyce
Breanne J Member Since: Mar 19, 2019
1 of 24

I joined a few days ago and have applied to numerous positions. The only ones I have heard back from are scams. I really need work and the rest haven't responded. How long does it usually take?

blakecodes
Blake C Member Since: Oct 26, 2018
2 of 24

Hi Breanne, 

The job application process is tedious and has to be thought through. The best approach in my opinion to getting a new job is finding a target audience. Based on your criteria you should try to narrow down the jobs you target. 

Your criteria should include things like your current skillset, ideal pay/budget, client history, etc. 

Make sure your proposals are crafted specifically for each job you post. Try to understand the concept of the job post and the goals of the client. Explain to them how your previous experience and knowledge gives them a step up by using you. 

UpWork provides an easy way to build trust with employers by building your online reputation. Try to be an impactful and meaningful member by caring about jobs just as the employers do. 

Hope this gives some insight!

cdixon65
Carolyn D Member Since: Sep 7, 2020
3 of 24

don't expect to get anything right away.  i've been trying for several years.  and ended up getting one and only made 20.00

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 24

You are presenting yourself as a virtual assistant, with no Upwork work history, no portfolio, and no specific skills, expertise, or specialization.

So it may take longer for you to get hired than somebody who has in-demand skills.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
5 of 24

Breanne J wrote:

I joined a few days ago and have applied to numerous positions. The only ones I have heard back from are scams. I really need work and the rest haven't responded. How long does it usually take?

It depends a lot on how you present yourself in your profil and proposal. Try to write more about your experience in your profil. You only have four sentences and one of them is redundant. You are competing against VA from low cost contries that are willing to work 24/7.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 24

Breanne J wrote:

For over 90% of the 2 million+ freelancers on upwork, it never happens. I firmly believe that it is possible for newcomers to establish themselves on the platform, though, provided they are serious professionals, have the skills and the mindset to apply themselves, create a great profile with a portfolio and tests, are able to translate all of that into a winning proposal, and finally, obviously, deliver excellent results each and every time. 

What upwork is not: an easy way to make money.

yurynmuz
Community Leader
Yury M Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
7 of 24

As for me, I think clients don't see my applications at all )

I come here 1 time a year and still no result )

This time I accidentally remembered about Upwork and decided to look in )

I run a number of businesses (websites) on 3 continents and from here - nothing )

I'm not complaining, I think Upwork is COOL place, but it has many filters against new people Man Happy

Maybe I'm not right - simply my opinion Man Happy

b683fc17
Nelson J Member Since: Oct 29, 2020
8 of 24

@Yuri M "filters against new people", yes, it seems like that. It seems like most clients are "freelencers badge driven", they are mostly looking for Top Rated, Job Success, Rising Talent, etc.... An newbie is not eligible to have all this, so they should have a way to promote  peofiles of new people too.

And again, remote jobs limited to country or regionis one of the drawback for overseas freelancers as Upwork got more clients from US and EU, if a job is limited to regon or country is not 100% and they should know this platform is international.

cdixon65
Carolyn D Member Since: Sep 7, 2020
9 of 24

you are so right.  when you have to pay money for a job and don't get any responses, makes  you wonder if this isn't just another scam outfit.

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
10 of 24

Hi Carolyn,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

~Andrea
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS