cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it usually take to get hired?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 15

Breanne J wrote:

I joined a few days ago and have applied to numerous positions. The only ones I have heard back from are scams. I really need work and the rest haven't responded. How long does it usually take?

Breanne,

It really can take weeks if not months to get any traction on Upwork. The whole concept of getting the odd gig to make a bit of pocket money on sites such as Upwork is mostly a thing of the past. If you want to make money as a freelancer, you need to be committed and find a niche for yourself that will work. 

If you want to find work here you need to offer something concrete to a potential client and to show the client that you can deliver on his or her requirements. Unfortunately your overview is a perfect example of how to attract a scammer. So you should concentrate on this first. 

Figure out the things as an adminstrative assistant you can do best. You say you have been doing this for years, which is patently not the case, as you only left school a few years ago. So you want to cut out the fields that you do not have experience in such as HR and "experience in almost every field possible".  Your clients are not interested in teaching you (that is for the B & M world). You have to know that you can deliver a professional package to those clients to whom you have submitted a proposal. 

At this stage, be vary wary of any invitation you receive - the chances are that it will be a scam. And well done, by the way for recognizing those for what they are. There are quite a few people who don't. 

To recap: Rewrite your overview and offer only those skills that you know absolutely you can do as well as another freelancer who might have more experience than you. 

Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
12 of 15

I'd also hide your office skills and virtual assistant test results.  If they were side skills, I think these scores would be fine.  But since you are selilng your expertise I'd hide them and try to retake them until you are at least in the top 10%.

Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
13 of 15

Hi Breanne,

Don't give up , keep applying for the jobs which you feel close of your skills and experience. I was in same situation like yours in 2016. Even I have learnt many things from this community which helped me to achieve where I am now.

Good Luck !

Higgs J Member Since: Aug 9, 2019
14 of 15

I just started 3 days ago and landed my first job on the first day. I am new to upwork but have designed websites since 2008. I have submitted 77 proposals and am pending 3 now with 1 job completed. 

This is my proposal style script

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 15

I hope you know about 3000 NEETs per hour will be copying this and spamming proposals with your info.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS