cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is "too long" for a contact to be open without work?

eyad-alshafi
Mouiad A Member Since: Oct 8, 2018
1 of 5

I have some hourly contracts active with some clients that I've done ongoing work for. However, there is currently no work and last I heard from the clients, they "will have more work for me later". 

I know that leaving a contract open for too long without any work hurts your score. But what exactly is considered "too long"?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Mouiad A wrote:

I have some hourly contracts active with some clients that I've done ongoing work for. However, there is currently no work and last I heard from the clients, they "will have more work for me later". 

I know that leaving a contract open for too long without any work hurts your score. But what exactly is considered "too long"?

You know wrong. (Or know old ideas that are no longer the case, if they ever were)

As long as money has (ever) been paid under a contract and you do not have a load of those, it won't hurt you.

What does hurt are open contracts with no payment (EVER) for a long time. They also hurt when closed without feedback.

eyad-alshafi
Mouiad A Member Since: Oct 8, 2018
3 of 5

And this is true for both hourly and fixed rate contracts, correct? I also have a fixed rate contract that has had payments in the past, but it hasn't had any active milestones in a while. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

@Mouiad A wrote:

And this is true for both hourly and fixed rate contracts, correct?

Yes.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
5 of 5

Another consideration with lots of "active" projects you are not actually working on is having potential new clients thinking you are too busy to work on their projects so they don't invite you to submit a  proposal on their projects or respond to your proposals if you aren't invited.

I don't know at what level that becomes a problem, but I have a couple of times had potential clients ask me if I had the time to devote to their projects with so many other active projects keeping me busy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS