🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How long should I wait with unresponsive clie...
Page options
evesion
Community Member

How long should I wait with unresponsive client.

Hi,

I have a 185 dollar project that I can't finish without a response from my customer. I waited for a week for his response and today I noticed he has revoked access to his project.

I spend quite some hours on his project and did everything in my power to resolve his issue.

What are you guys advising I do next?

6 REPLIES 6
edesignmk
Community Member

Hi Frank,

I am in the same position, I have an hourly contract (opened for more than a month, very unresponsive client), and it's been 2 weeks since the last message from my client.

I am not sure if I need to log the hours (manual time allowed) and end the contract, but I don't want the client to come back after 2 months and give negative feedback. 

Hello first, seek advice in support, but I think I need to close the contract

roberty1y
Community Member

If the client won't respond, that's his problem. As long as you've explained that you need a response from him to finish the job, you should just leave it at that for perhaps two months. If you don't receive any further message from him, it's just a matter of making sure you get paid for the work you've done.

If it's a fixed price job, you need to click on "Submit work for payment" first, and then wait until you're paid automatically, which takes two weeks if the client doesn't release the funds. Make sure you're paid before you close the contract.

debi-f
Community Member

When you send the project as complete, you are asking for payment.

If the client doesn't respond, and if he funded the money, you will receive it automatically in 2 weeks. 

So, send the milestone completed, the client receives the request for payment. The client can answer and pay, or if he doesn't, in 14 days Upwork has to pay you. 

evesion
Community Member

Okay, that makes sense. What worries me is if the client returns after a few days or months and gives me a bad review. I am new with 15 contracts and 1 bad review will ruin my JSS.

debi-f
Community Member

Why should he give bad feedback? Anyway, I think that there is a limited time (2 weeks) to leave feedback IF the contract is closed. You don't have to end the contract. Just, receive the payment. Then, if the job remains open, you don't leave/receive feedback. So, don't end it, just submit your work asking for payment. 

Did you check his Profile, if he leaves feedbacks to other freelancers, or if other freelancers left him feedback? I ALWAYS check the client's Profile and feedbacks he gave/received before sending a proposal or accepting a job with a new client.   

Eventually, when you submit work for payment, you can send a polite message like "it was a great experience... if you need further help, please let me know... if you are satisfied with my work, your feedback could help me with new potential clients...etc., etc." 

Just, suggestions that sometimes work 😊

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members