cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should a client take to review work?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 17

@Nichola L wrote:

However, what is confusing is the page where you ask for release of funds, as it also invites you to submit the completed work. This presupposes that you should attach your work and ask for payment at the same time.

I think the whole milestone system needs to be overhauled and simplified, with far more autonomy given to the freelancer. And sorry to say it Elance haters, but the Elance milestone system was a lot easier to follow. Many clients do not want to be bothered pushing buttons. 

Nichola,

As neither an Elance hater nor a defender, I'm not sure I understand your preference. Maybe you could provide a use case?

Both platforms default to completion of work and submission of invoice as a single step. Upwork assumes and encourages, and does not require, that submission of work be done with notice of completion and invoicing. Elance allows, and does not require, submission and declaration of completion as a single step; it also adds the option of putting the automatic submission of an invoice on hold for later action by the contractor. The freelancer's "autonomy" in discretionary billng and incremental progress reporting comes at the expense of simplicity, not as a function of it.

As for pushing buttons, clients on both platforms have to do this if they want to pay before Upwork's 14-day automatic release, or Elance's 30-day autorelease.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 17

Michael, you are quite right, except that, freelancers on Elance were allowed to suggest milestones (even in the proposal letter), which could be discussed, and accepted or rejected until an agreement was reached. Freelancers on Upwork do not have this option, and can sometimes fall into the trap of working when they see that milestones have been funded, but the milestone has been set by the client at $0.01. which an unwary freelancer does not see.

I have done it myself when I have stipulated a price (net freelancer) but the client initiates the contract first, and then I have seen that the milestone is at a lower rate. The freelancer does not get to see the milestone before agreeing to the contract. Or maybe they do, and I am missing something. Then what happens. You argue the toss and end up with indifferent feedback - the secret feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 17

Ah, I see, Nichola.

Yes, on Elance one passes offers and counteroffers back and forth in the form of system documents until agreement is reached (which sounds more complicated than it is in practice, because agreement has usually been reached by that stage).

On Upwork one doesn't see the offer one is accepting? I don't remember it that way in my limited experience, but then both my client and I were documenting conversationally as we went along. I suppose for safety's sake, one would have to go to the "My Jobs" tab after acceptance and funding to verify the amount funded.

I totally agree on contractors' being able to submit milestones. Garnor recently had this to say:‎

19-11-2015 12:01 AM
Thanks Michael and others. We hear you, and we're evaluating the request for freelancers to set milestones as well as clients.

It seems that the possibility has not been ruled out.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
14 of 17

My answer to many "my client hasn't paid, what should I do?" threads in the Elance Water Cooler was just...  "horse's head in the bed."

They always get removed for some reason, so I now have to suggest less effective methods. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 17

"They always get removed for some reason, so I now have to suggest less effective methods."

Jennifer's baseball-bat methods are less extreme but are probably effective. Smiley Wink 

Highlighted
Randall R Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
16 of 17

What happened when you have already done the job and the client wants to pay you, but he is no longer using Paypal, but UpWork. You as the employee recieve the notification to open an account with UpWork, but can not get the funds because of the verification process.  Is there an options somewhere for people like myself who already have a part time job with a company and simply wants to get paid? I am not currently interested in singing up for other jobs, but I would like my employer to pay me ASAP. An option in UpWork that says "You are already Hired" or something similar and then a short process where you identify your Employer within UpWork. Then with a message sent to the company for them to Agree that you are their employee, will simplify this, and allow for $$ to start moving. 

Anything like that in UpWork?

Randall

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 17

Just send them the docs? What do they ask for? License and utility bill or something? Send it to them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS