🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How many active freelancers here (Upwork)...
Page options
yurynmuz
Community Member

How many active freelancers here (Upwork) with unlocked profiles?

Hello everybody

It's interesting, how many active freelancers are here?

It seems to me that not millions.

I'm going to find how many profiles are indexed by search engines.

Simply interesting. Going to use the info for my tiny blog.

Will find the number now & compare in a few months.

Cheers

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All, 

This thread and most posts on it are a few years old and some of the information about the search filters is outdated. So we'll be closing this thread from further responses to avoid confusion.

Here is what Freelancer Search filters look like now:

kochubei_valeria_1-1679507313272.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
petra_r
Community Member

Why are you so obsessed with a platform you're not working on?

Yury M wrote:

Completely pointless because that does not include profiles which are set to Upwork users only or private etc.

yurynmuz
Community Member

I need to know that for my own purpose.

Soon I will find the info and compare with another places.

It's interesting ..

Hi Yury,

I do not know how objective this number is, but you can create a client account and see the next number:

Screenshot_4.png

the "no earnings yet" number is impressive!

Hi Stanislav

Thank you for your good info.

It prooves what I think. "no earnings yet" takes a huge part.

As I can see - there are a few 100k of active accounts (freelancers) only.

I'm gong to count the unlocked (not private) accounts and not interested to count the locked ones.

So, as we can see: 7,66% of 2164157 earned $100+

91,25% earned 0

petra_r
Community Member

Yury M wrote:

It prooves what I think. "no earnings yet" takes a huge part.

Sure, that is in no way news.

Yury M wrote:

As I can see - there are a few 100k of active accounts (freelancers) only.

So? 

Yury M wrote:

I'm gong to count the unlocked (not private) accounts and not interested to count the locked ones.

Many, many freelancers who are busy with their existing clients or prefer to stay invisible to searches set their profile to private.

So whatever numbers you end up with will be more or less meaningless because it excludes a huge chunk of people, bot active (earning) and inactive.

That’s very interesting information, Stanislav.

So when clients set 90% & Up for their freelancer search, they are only going to see about 4 % of all freelancers who have any JSS rating at all in the field they are searching in.

That’s a much lower number than other posters on this board have estimated.

I’d be interested to know on what percent of all new projects clients choose a minimum JSS of 90% as one of their search criteria. Most of the jobs I see or am invited to include that minimum as a requirement. 

Will L wrote:

That’s very interesting information, Stanislav.

So when clients set 90% & Up for their freelancer search, they are only going to see about 4 % of all freelancers who have any JSS rating at all in the field they are searching in.

That’s a much lower number than other posters on this board have estimated.

Apples and oranges, Will. What's been discussed before is the prevalance of high ratings among active freelancers. More than half of freelancers who have earned $100 or more on Upwork have 90% JSS or above. That jumps to 69.9% among freelancers who have earned $1,000 across their Upwork careers.

I tried to get an updated version using the client account and could not get it. Is it possible that Upwork has changed its policies.

Thanksè

Hi Uma,

Could you please clarify your question and provide more information so that we can assist you further?

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hey Stanislav,

May I please know where can I access this dashboard?

Well done & said.

Wow!  If that isn't a kick in the pants to this newbie!

Hi there!

I never saw this table, thank you for sharing. 

If you happened to know, why are "Top Rated" and "Rising Talent" profiles are locked? 🤔

Just out of the curiosity.

That's fantastically impressive! I never paid attention on it although i had a client account for years.

Which means, that 72K people with $10K+ earned, make up for virtually all money ever made here (certainly 90+%), so most probably, ~10K people or so with $100K+ earnings, made more than half of all money and in terms of margins they bring to Upwork (because permanent users are higher margin as they don't have any acquisition costs and don't create any trouble/support load etc), Upwork is being funded in effect, by only a few thousand freelancers...

Are there any official stats on how many people made $100K+? $1M+?

Alexander,

Upwork provides a platform for freelancers from all over the world to connect with clients who need their services. It's a win-win situation for both parties. Freelancers get access to a global pool of clients, and clients get to hire skilled professionals from anywhere in the world.

Now, when it comes to earnings, it's only natural that the top earners will make the most money. These are usually the most skilled and experienced freelancers who have built up a reputation and a client base over time. And yes, it's true that a small percentage of freelancers make up a large portion of the earnings on the platform. But that's the case with any business or industry. The top performers always make the most money.

What's important to note is that Upwork provides opportunities for freelancers of all levels to earn a living. Whether you're just starting out or you're a seasoned professional, there's a place for you on the platform. And as you gain more experience and build up your reputation, you can increase your earnings. As for official stats on how many people have made $100K+ or $1M+, I don't have that information off the top of my head. But what I do know is that Upwork has helped millions of freelancers earn a living and build successful careers. And that's something to be proud of. I believe that what Upwork is doing is the right thing. They're providing a platform for freelancers to connect with clients and earn a living. And while the top earners may make the most money, there are opportunities for freelancers of all levels to succeed. So let's give credit where credit is due and appreciate the opportunities that Upwork provides.

We can't see that information anymore. Or, at least, if we can it's been reformulated in a way that I haven't been able to find it for quite a while.

meganpelletier
Community Member

Smiley Happy

I sit down whilst working...so I'm not that active

I'll show myself out

Active - I meant not locked - workable, visible etc.

As I see, Upwork is "friendly" to 7,66%

And is "unfriendly" to others 90+% ( like me )

It's interesting to me, how many from unlucky 90+% will go away because of job apply prices?

But I think it will be very good for top level freelancers because competition will be MUCH lower for them )

That's a good point, Christopher.

Few jobs I have seen posted on Upwork require physical activity, so I guess there are actually very few freelancers who are actively using Upwork?

lysis10
Community Member

Yury M wrote:

Hello everybody

It's interesting, how many active freelancers are here?

It seems to me that not millions.

Simply interesting. Going to use the info for my tiny blog.

Will find the number now & compare in a few months.

Cheers

Deep within the bowels of "OMG I have to pay for connects this is the end of the world!!!!!111!! I'm leaving Upwork is greeedy!!!!!!11111!!!!" reddit thread, someoene broke it down. It's not anywhere close to millions. I'm going off of memory, but someone went  and looked and it's something like a couple hundred thousand freelancers who have made money on the platform. Less than a million active IIRC. It was posted by Gigmistress. I did a quick look and didn't find it. She probably got downvoted because freelancers don't really like it when you tell them that something is not a big deal and you don't join them in being hysterical over nothing.

yurynmuz
Community Member

I have many free connects.

They will be wasted as usual.

I try to get a small profit from this situation.

I describe my situation on my tiny blog and there is quite a big discussion about it.

I'm interested to find more negative points )

lysis10
Community Member

Yury M wrote:

I have many free connects.

They will be wasted as usual.

I try to get a small profit from this situation.

I describe my situation on my tiny blog and there is quite a big discussion about it.

I'm interested to find more negative points )

Yes, I know. There are three reddit threads that I read in different subs. I'm sure there are more on there and on social media. Freelancers are pretty stupid ime. It seems most freelancers think this is to bank on connects and nah that's not it.

I gave Upwork $9300 in commission last year, so a few dollars for connects just to make a very nice living doing what I want and living free from corporate bs is nothing to me. These people are morons if they don't see the bigger picture.

yurynmuz
Community Member

As I see from the statistic - this place is open for already high levels.

And shut for a new ones - for 90+% - it's waste of time (looking to statistic)

I was lasy to use my free connects because I'm low level.

The most interesting for me question now is - how many from 90+% will go away?

As for you - it's very good - less competition

As for me - I'm earning in another places and don't care very much

lysis10
Community Member

Yury M wrote:

As I see from the statistic - this place is open for already high levels.

And shut for a new ones - for 90+% - it's waste of time (looking to statistic)

I was lasy to use my free connects because I'm low level.

The most interesting for me question now is - how many from 90+% will go away?

As for you - it's very good - less competition

As for me - I'm earning in another places and don't care very much

A majority of people who claim they are leaving, won't. I don't think 90% means much without the $$$$ attached, so the people who leave are probably not making any money anyway. They might buy connects idk, but if I was making no money, I might just forget about Upwork and move on. idk I see this place as a goldmine. I could see me at least trying to make some money. That's how I started on elance. Just saw that people were making money and wondered how I could get in on this action.

yurynmuz
Community Member

Seems to me that it's 1st April Joke about paid connects!

Maybe I will start using my free ones (sometimes)

This place is very good for high levels few %s !

But it's so funny if unlucky 90+% will pay for their hope only.

It's April !

🙂

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All, 

This thread and most posts on it are a few years old and some of the information about the search filters is outdated. So we'll be closing this thread from further responses to avoid confusion.

Here is what Freelancer Search filters look like now:

kochubei_valeria_1-1679507313272.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths