cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many freelancers are experiencing a decline in contracts after Upwork's unconscionable 20%

louiseupwork
Louise M Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
1 of 20

How many of us are experiencing a serious decline in contracts since the **Edited for Community Guidelines** fee increase Upwork gave itself w/o having added ANY value to the site?

More importantly, what is the value of 20% of nothing if we are not earning b/c Upwork's greed requires us to charge more than the traffic will bear? 

How long before Upwork's epic fail - excessive skimming, deeply **Edited for Community Guidelines** search tools, willful blindness to the dangers of forcing users to share personal information and confer the kind of access a huge corporate client wouldn't expect without a $50K retainer agmt - prompts some real competition a la Elance, the best site for legal work? 

If I was a coder, I would be moving heaven and earth to create a facsmile of Elance, which was ultimately much safer and much more effective for all concerned.

Hurry up, coders! 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 20

I actually made 5 figures in May (was surprised about that) but made significantly less in June. This month is back to killing it. My bestest favoritest client is back this month, and these months I am so happy cuz the work is a good 2-3 weeks long so I can relax.

August is usually one of my best months, so I'm looking forward to another good month.

btw, if you were a coder you would realize that making a competitor site would take several months and millions in startup costs and marketing.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 20

I have no problems with the new few structure.  I did have someone off the platform offer me work.  They take 40%.  I said no thank you.

outsourceupwork
Community Leader
Anil K Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
4 of 20

You are not the only one, even I'm also not getting any new projects. Right now there are 74 proposals which I sent already but nothing working out for me. 

And let me tell you, I'm Upwork top rated freelancer with 100% Customer Satisfaction Score.

Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 20

@Louise M wrote:

How many of us are experiencing a serious decline in contracts ?

Not me. I just spent the last half hour responding to a bunch of invites, mostly declining because I am extremely busy this week and next.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
6 of 20

This month has been one of the worst for me. No new clients, no legitimate job invites, and two long-term clients have completely stopped giving me work. I can only guess it's because of the new payment processing fees.

I am working with past clients that I don't like (out of desperation).

And I've had a couple of people ask me to work off the platform.

kim_wong
Community Leader
Kim W Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
7 of 20

Maybe its because it's summer?  Kids are out of school.  Families take vacations?  Might be a good idea to revisit this in 6 months to a year.  More reliable data, perhaps?

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 20
Keep in mind, Kim, that I am comparing this month to previous Junes & Julys, as well as the holiday seasons. So yes, this is still one of the worst months for me. The only months that beat it are those where I was seriously ill or travelling.
kwtse
Karen T Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
9 of 20

I didn't have many new projects since coming on-board Upwork, most clients are people that I have worked with since Elance. I guess it really varies by the industry and nature of work your clients require.

Anyway, the previous few comments disregarded the cold hard truth that you mentioned: there is no added-value to the site, and yet the fee structure increased again. I don't think anyone in the right mind can dispute that.

If you are getting work, its because there is a demand in the market, but it doesn't justify the service fees hike over and over, when there is no improvements in functionality, or visible marketing efforts. LOL, it is indeed, **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
10 of 20

I've had a surprsingly busy workload since the rates changed. A couple of larger projects, quite a few smaller ones, some repeat clients. It's always a bit of an up and down in terms of month to month, that's just the nature of freelancing. Perhaps I've been lucky lately, perhaps I've been doing more efficient targeting in the marketplace, but the new clients I've worked with have been delightful, too. I even received an unexpected bonus today because I turned something around quickly and the client appreciated it. Plus, I successfully negotiated with a client about increasing the rate on a job when I got the files and realized it was a larger job than the posting described. When it's my turn to complain I usually take advantage, but I'm pretty happy with my current state of affairs. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS