cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many freelancers are experiencing a decline in contracts after Upwork's unconscionable 20%

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 20

I experienced no changes since Upwork hiked its rates. June was very good despite the fact that I raised by rates (to meet Upwork and over).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
elaine61
Elaine R Member Since: Mar 11, 2016
12 of 20

Who can we complain to? Does it fall under 'unfair labor practices'? It's ridiculous. I also came from Elance and never experienced anything like this. 20%??? !!! Are they kidding ?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 20

@Elaine R wrote:

Who can we complain to? Does it fall under 'unfair labor practices'? It's ridiculous. I also came from Elance and never experienced anything like this. 20%??? !!! Are they kidding ?

Unfair labor practices relate to employees. You are not an employee--you are a customer purchasing a service from Upwork or not as you choose.

I haven't had time to take on new work here lately, but my invitations seem to have escalated over the past few weeks. 

elaine61
Elaine R Member Since: Mar 11, 2016
14 of 20

I'm purchasing a service?? I thought my clients were purchasing my services.

I'm not complaining about not getting invites. I'm complaining about the 20% gouge. At Elance, the fee was 8.75. Upwork increased it to 10., then doubled it to 20%. You don't think that's unreasonable? 

It must be nice to be above it all...

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 20

You don't see the service? You sit on your butt and flip through leads that are handed to you. You are then given a way to take payments and sell to other clients without lifting a finger. Take a wild guess how much you think that would be if you didn't have Upwork. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 20

@Elaine R wrote:

I'm purchasing a service?? I thought my clients were purchasing my services.

I'm not complaining about not getting invites. I'm complaining about the 20% gouge. At Elance, the fee was 8.75. Upwork increased it to 10., then doubled it to 20%. You don't think that's unreasonable? 

It must be nice to be above it all...

Yes, you are absolutely purchasing a service. Upwork does your marketing. UpWork manages your invoices. Upwork ensures that you get paid, as long as you follow certain procedures. That's a service that you're purchasing for 20/10/5% of your earnings through the site. If the service is valuable to you, you keep purchasing it. If it isn't, you stop purchasing it and find clients on your own and handle your own invoicing and collections.

I do not think it's unreasonable. I think it would be unreasonable for Upwork to continue to invest a lot of time and resources into small projects that were not netting it any profit.

It is, in fact, nice to be able to recognize the service for what it is, recognize my ability to use it if it works for me and stop if it doesn't, and just continue to make money. If you consider that "above it all" I don't know what to tell you. To me, it's just basic business sense. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 20

@Elaine R wrote:

There is nobody to whom you can complain. Or you may complain to everyone, but I don't see what it would change. Upwork has made a decision, a lot have complained but Upwork implemented its decision.

With or without this rate hike, this platform works for some and doesn't work for others. While the reasons may vary, it's up to each person to do what is the best for them.

If you are doing something which doesn't work for you, like selling your services on an online platform for instance, stop doing it, and start doing something that works for you.

Or you may keep doing what doesn't work for you. And complain.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
outsourceupwork
Community Leader
Anil K Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
18 of 20
Looks like only Community Gurus are having good time here on Upwork 🙂
Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
19 of 20

The "Community Guru" title means nothing. I'm one and I'm not having a good time here.

I tend to complain a lot but I'm honestly having a bad month. And what's worse is the quality of job posts continues to decline.

**Edited to add: That being said, there is a chance that I'm just having unlucky period and that it has nothing to do with the fee increase. I still have a few great long-term clients. Maybe things will pick up in August...

lauraivie
Ace Contributor
Laura I Member Since: Apr 7, 2016
20 of 20

I concur it's been a bad month and that the job postings do seem to be lacking in quality lately. 

I am hoping that things start to pick up soon...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS