som1987

How many of You Indian freelancer want a corporate medical insuarance from Upwork?

Hello ,

In today's world medical insuarance is a must because of increasing medical expenditure. Also our parents are getting older they also need a medical insuarance. Corporate/Group medical insuarance provide a lot of facilities and low premium. The facilities include maternity benefit, pre-existing disease and a lot others which you don't get in indivisual insuarance.

I had comunication with upwork product manager and many insuarance companies. Upwork is interested in starting a medical corporate insuarance for their community and the premium should be paid by us. 

How many of you are interested in this proposal?

Thanks

Somdeb

40 REPLIES 40
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Somdeb,

Upwork only offers health care plans for Upwork freelancers based in the US or Canada and who are eligible for Payroll W2 program. I encourage you to check this thread in addition to another thread you started about this topic where other members of the Community shared their experience and opinions.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lysis10

lol just india?

I'd like some too but it ain't happening.

som1987

Yes it will happen if there is a will

At its core, Upwork is a website. It is not a health care provider.

Why would anybody even WANT to have health care tied to where they work or who they work for? I certainly don't want that.

Wouldn't you rather be free to work wherever you want, free to quit, free to switch jobs, free to do no work at all, and not have to worry about these choices having any impact on whether or not you can get medical care?

I wonder if the original poster thinks that having health care financing like we have in the United States, strongly tied to insurance companies and employers, is a desirable thing. I can assure you, it is not a good thing.

I believe the original poster is sincere in his concerns. But no good can come from any attempt to obtain health care from Upwork. Keep in mind that even the health care plans it offers in the U.S. and Canada are only offered in order to comply with certain health care laws. Upwork does not provide free health care of free health insurance to anybody, not even in the U.S. or Canada.

Hmm....

If the OP wants a health care plan for Indians, people from all parts of the globe will want one too. Additionally....you do not work FOR Upwork, so they have absolutely ZERO obligation to supply people working from India, or any other country, with one. As a freelancer, you are a business, and it is the job of the business (i.e. you) to take care of your own health care...or any other...needs.

This business of health care plans provided by Upwork has been mentioned before and thoroughly discussed...and the general consensus was that it is an extremely bad idea.

Yes you are right. But if it is available then it will be an added benefit. Because group insuarance policy certainly have very low premium and has added benefits. I am not telling upwork to provie it free. We will pay our premium. But to get corporate or group insuarance we need a company as well as large no. of members. In this way freelancing will become more attractive and lot of other persons who are still working as an employee in other companies like i did earlier will easily come to upwork without worrying about their medical expenditure. Many companies here in india offers group insuarance to their employees and employess just fear to leave their jobs because of medical insuarance and other benefits they get in their companies.

I know this is a new idea but if it happens it will chnage the whole world of freelancing. World is idea we dont even thought of frrelancing earlier through online. But now it is happening. So to get more persons to the world of freelancing something new need to happen. Without new freelancers online platform like upwork will not grow. We will get huge quality talents in upwork coming from differnt companies to join the world of freelancing. Like my friends they are not joing upwork as full timer because of some added benefits they get from their respective companies.

I am sure if this idea clicks lots of talents will join upwork that will help it to grow. I am an upworker since 2010 but in middle i joined a company because of added benefits i get there.

Hope you all understand my idea and logic

Somdeb 

I guess the initial idea is to take advantage of the huge amount of people on Upwork to negotiate lower rates for health insurance. In this case Upwork could, and should, take a cut to cover the costs of doing this, but on the overall it may be a not so bad idea if it is taken with this specific approach in mind.

But it's complicated because contractors are spread over many countries and there is no health care insurance which would cover so much localities.

Now Upwork may start negotiating in some big countries, like US but also India.

I live in a country which has a universal single paying healthcare service, so I'm not interested in this, but I understand that US contractors, and obviously Indians too, may be interested.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Yes that is the idea i want to float. Thanks for supporting my idea

I recently read an article about this exact thing. It can work in large numbers and Upwork doesn't have to pay a thing. 

Yes it can happen without any dent in upwork financial book.

A lot of the consulting firms here hire people like me as contractors for their clients. They compete by offering healthcare to contractors, but it's not any cheaper than just getting your own. 

But in India group Insuarance is a lot cheaper as well as it has other benefits like pre-existing diseases and maternity benefits and lot others which you can't get in indivisual insuarance

@Jennifer M wrote:

A lot of the consulting firms here hire people like me as contractors for their clients. They compete by offering healthcare to contractors, but it's not any cheaper than just getting your own. 

Do they have as many contractors as Upwork? Upwork's power of negotiation is huge.

-----------

Sorry Sir, 

But, please NO!

I don't want it. Please don't compel it on.

Because if health insurance is up, I will go off!

In case you're wondering, why is it a big no with me, please, I am scared of the institutionalization strategy of healthcare. Precisely everything that you quoted sounds horrorific to me. 

Please keep 'Upwork Healthcare' to yourself. 

No offense meant. 

As for your friends ... for people who understand freedom of freelancing, there is no moving out, because this is the ultimate freedom. So, or those who don't, they LUV the institutionalization. Honestly, I have introduced a dozen people into upwork. I have coaxed them to come here, because I know what this freedom is. 

Most loved it, because they felt the pride of finishing a fair job with the best of ethics, with freedom never felt before. but, this does not mean that all stayed for more. No, they had other goals. Everyone does. 

So 

Live and Let live.  

Thanks for heeding, Sir.

Good Day! 

Geo Maria George

Preston, you said everything I wanted to say!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the proposal, being an Indian- NO, NO, NO, NO, No NO NO NO NO NO    NOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... SERIOUSLY, NO! 

I would like to add,

This is how the terror starts. The terror of adulteration. For a majority who are paranoid about their health, they will establish a tomorrow where everyone MUST pay the 'premium' for healthcare. It starts like this. And soon, the only question left will be, 'What makes you so different that you (Upwork) don't need healthcare like the  rest of us (world companies- *%%%^*%^)

Upwork is the only workplace that I don't feel choked in.

Thank You for keeping it beautiful, from Odesk ... To upwork. 

Please don't bull**bleep**.

Good luck! 

Geo Maria George
som1987

Yes upwork negotiation power is huge because of lot of members

I'm pretty sure most fellow Britons will agree that paying at the point of service for medical treatment is such a barbaric concept.

Medical treatment is free here in the UK, so there'd be absolutely no point in this for those living in the UK or other territories with similar health systems.

@Daniel P wrote:

I'm pretty sure most fellow Britons will agree that paying at the point of service for medical treatment is such a barbaric concept.

Medical treatment is free here in the UK, so there'd be absolutely no point in this for those living in the UK or other territories with similar health systems.

It's free in France too (well no, it's not free, it's paid by taxes and payroll taxes), but you still have the co-pay. In France we have complementary health insurances to cover co-pays and whatever the Social Security (equivalent of the NHS in UK) won't pay, and I'm sure you guys have a similar system.

Companies are required to partially provide complementary health insurances to employees, but people in small companies and sole proprietors have to pay 100% if they want a complementary coverage.

With this respect, French & Briton contractors could be interested too.

-----------
som1987

But not free in India

@Somdeb M wrote:
But not free in India

There's no free lunch, buddy. It'll come from somewhere... like fees. 

Kudos, Jen. True point. I second thee.

I agree.

Why should everyone pay (mandatorily) for services, unasked for, just because someone wants it! 

Geo Maria George
som1987

I am not want it to be mandatory to all. Just wanted to be an add-on. If any one want he can buy others don't want will not need.

You do realise, don't you, that there would be terms and conditions involved? You also realise, don't you, Upwork would have to employ people specifically to deal with this, and you do realise, don't you, that their salaries and the services provided would come at a certain added expense....and you do realise, don't you...that the expense would be at US rates, and you do realise, don't you, that you are completely free to seek out your own health care insurance within your own country where you are free to pick between the different providers...and that adding on a ton of existing family members (parents, cousins, aunts, uncles...etc.) comes at a further hefty fee....and you do realise you would have to earn a certain amount (probably) in order to qualify. Don't you?

And you do realise that Upwork would not implement any new idea unless they can make money out of it....they are a business, and if they are not going to make money....they will not implement it.

som1987

It will attract more freelancer from India. This is the profit upwork will make

@Somdeb M wrote:
It will attract more freelancer from India. This is the profit upwork will make

That is nonsense.

You are missing a fundamental point. More freelancers does not mean more profit.

More CLIENTS means more profit.

More freelancers just means the existing jobs are applied to by more freelancers, with everyone winning less contracts, and earning less money.

The LAST thing Upwork needs or wants is more freelancers.

Upwork needs and wants LESS freelancers and more CLIENTS.

There are WAY too many freelancers already and that is the cause of a lot of the issues clients, existing freelancers, and Upwork experience today. Clients are flooded with applications, hardly able to keep up, freelancers are struggling to win contracts because clients can not find them in the scrum, the site is overloaded and struggles with the volume of traffic.......

And where does the majority of that excessive, crippling traffic originate? India.

Alexa traffic report for Upwork.com

Upwork would be stark raving bonkers to introduce anything that attracts more freelancers, from ANYWHERE, but especially from the region that is crippling things already.

Quite frankly Upwork could do with culling 20 to 40% of the freelancers and we would all be better off.

Well, the 60 to 80% of the freelancers that are left would be, the clients would be, and the site would be. Much better off!

Some categories would be healthier if 70% or more of the freelancers were eliminated.

If you are doing well enough on Upwork you earn enough to buy your own private healthcare insurance.

If you are not then maybe it is time to return to the world of brick and mortar employment with a company that provides the healthcare you need.

That is the stark reality of it.

@Petra R wrote:

The LAST thing Upwork needs or wants is more freelancers.

And where does the majority of that excessive, crippling traffic originate? India.

Alexa traffic report for Upwork.com

Alexa reports Elance's 42% visitors are located in India.

I didnt see on Upwork clear statistics on top earnings countries ... based on Elance earnings report 2013-2014, India was the #1 top earning country, closely followed by SUA. It will be interesting to some reports like these after the merger.

top-earnings.jpg

VS. the number of registered freelancers

reg-freelancers.jpg

som1987

You are wrongly interpreting it. Many of the top developers are in mainstream jobs because of the facility they get from employers not only medical insurance. If they join upwork it will increase the quality of freelancers. Some that are not good developers they don't get job in any company ,generally join freelancing sites because they have nothing to do except this. This quantity is small though. Yes more clients means more money. But if the quality of freelancer decreases then client will also decrease.To get great quality developers upwork needs to provide some facilities. Also this can be a top rated added advantage to buy cheap insurance. So many developers will try to achieve top rated or any things else.
som1987

And also the main reason for corporate medical insurance is not for us but for our parents. Many of our parents are old and generally individual insurance doesn't allow late entry or they are so much costly. I used to work in a company where I used to have corporate medical insurance for my whole family including parents at very low rates

So now Upwork should be using its profits to fund (or at least administer) an insurance scheme so that freelancers from a certain country can pay for their elderly parents' medical bills?? I really don't want to appear racist,  but am I missing something??

@Stephen B wrote:

So now Upwork should be using its profits to fund (or at least administer) an insurance scheme so that freelancers from a certain country can pay for their elderly parents' medical bills?? I really don't want to appear racist,  but am I missing something??

lol yes, just India. Because we want to attract more Indians, as if that's necessary. Imagine if someone had said "just the US" and all the rage.  

Work, Earn and Pay for their better medical care. 😄 

I think that will keep them alive, more than love or insurance claims! 

Geo Maria George
som1987

Not free my friend. We will pay our premium but group Insurance premiums are less and have other facilities because of bulk purchase

I have decades of experience as CEO/CFO of a large company providing services to thousands of independent contractors. I know it is uncommon in the United States for such a company to provide medical or any other kind of group insurance to those contractors.

To do so would add an administrative cost and burden to the company that is unsupportable by the existing fee structure and generally, from my actual business experience,  not even welcomed by the independent contractors.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV

@Somdeb M wrote:
Not free my friend. We will pay our premium but group Insurance premiums are less and have other facilities because of bulk purchase

...and how much are you making on this generous offer????

Look most countries in the world have national health care plans and because of that we don't need insurance and if we did, UPWORK would be the VERY LAST place I would go to look for it.

Please take your pipe dream of more freelancers and file it away somewhere because we don't want or need more freelancers from India. Their reputation has preceeded them.

And get your health care at home if you don't have Universal Health Care in India. Work a few extra hours and voila, you've got enough money for health care. No need to pay money to upwork for health care.

And I understand India is getting/got Universal Health Care so why would you need this. 

Somdeb, did it ever cross your mind to ask your internet provider to offer medical insurance? Dont they enable you to go online and find work?

Thats pretty much what Upwork do, its an online platform where you can find work, in relation with its freelancers Upwork its just a service provider. You should read the Agreement, to understand better Upwork's role.

Its the "clients" you work for on Upwork that you can pursue into a discussion about "benefits". Dont go by asking to offer medical insurance but negociate your rate so that you can cover the expense of a premium medical insurance.

As a freelancer you have the freedom to create yourself opportunities and benefits that fits best your interests, it doesnt come in bulk.

som1987

No India does not have universal health insurance. Also due to old age of our parents most of the insurance company will not open a policy. Are you saying that Indian freelancers are of bad quality due to their cheaper rates you are absolutely wrong my friend. Some may be bad but most of them are not. In USA there is https://www.freelancersunion.org but in India there is no such organization.That is why I am asking upwork to do it off course with a fee from those who are interested.

@Somdeb M wrote:
No India does not have universal health insurance. Also due to old age of our parents most of the insurance company will not open a policy.

With all due respect, your parents are not Upwork's problem, or that of every other freelancer on this platform.

Please let me know which part of "Upwork already has WAY more freelancers than it can healthily sustain in every category" you have trouble comprehending and we can try and explain it to you in more simple terms.

If Upwork removed (as I firmly believe they should) a least 20% - if not 40% of the existing freelancers across all categories there would still not be any need to attract a single additional one for a long time.

Hence ANYTHING that attracts a single new freelancer, especially from the one country that is already over-represented, is a BAD thing for everyone, including yourself.

I know its not upwork's problem but its our problem and if upwork helps is just a plus.

If a freelancer is bad then his profile will reflect it and hence client will avoid that freelancer. So there's no problem about that.

I actually just want to take benefits of the huge pool of upworkers who are interested so we can negotiate the insuarance company for more benfits. I am not talking about peoples who are not interested. So for example if 100 of indian freelancer is interested we can make a huge bargain with the insuarance companies. That will save everyones money in upwork who are having indivusual medical insuarance.

@Petra R wrote:

@Somdeb M wrote:
No India does not have universal health insurance. Also due to old age of our parents most of the insurance company will not open a policy.

With all due respect, your parents are not Upwork's problem, or that of every other freelancer on this platform.

Please let me know which part of "Upwork already has WAY more freelancers than it can healthily sustain in every category" you have trouble comprehending and we can try and explain it to you in more simple terms.

If Upwork removed (as I firmly believe they should) a least 20% - if not 40% of the existing freelancers across all categories there would still not be any need to attract a single additional one for a long time.

Hence ANYTHING that attracts a single new freelancer, especially from the one country that is already over-represented, is a BAD thing for everyone, including yourself.

Somdeb M wrote:

I actually just want to take benefits of the huge pool of upworkers who are interested

Which "huge pool?"

So far I have seen you and ............ nobody else... Not a single Indian Freelancer has shared your sentiment.
You are swimming in a big fat "huge pool" of ONE... all alone.
big fat Zero.jpg

Give it a rest.

Let Upwork do what is their job to do, which is make this platform a stable and a safe and profitable place to find clients and work.

Your Health Insurance is your issue to resolve, as it is every other freelancer's in the world.