cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of You Indian freelancer want a corporate medical insuarance from Upwork?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Somdeb M Member Since: May 6, 2015
1 of 41

Hello ,

In today's world medical insuarance is a must because of increasing medical expenditure. Also our parents are getting older they also need a medical insuarance. Corporate/Group medical insuarance provide a lot of facilities and low premium. The facilities include maternity benefit, pre-existing disease and a lot others which you don't get in indivisual insuarance.

I had comunication with upwork product manager and many insuarance companies. Upwork is interested in starting a medical corporate insuarance for their community and the premium should be paid by us. 

How many of you are interested in this proposal?

Thanks

Somdeb

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 41

Hi Somdeb,

Upwork only offers health care plans for Upwork freelancers based in the US or Canada and who are eligible for Payroll W2 program. I encourage you to check this thread in addition to another thread you started about this topic where other members of the Community shared their experience and opinions.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 41

lol just india?

I'd like some too but it ain't happening.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 41
Yes it will happen if there is a will
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 41

At its core, Upwork is a website. It is not a health care provider.

Why would anybody even WANT to have health care tied to where they work or who they work for? I certainly don't want that.

Wouldn't you rather be free to work wherever you want, free to quit, free to switch jobs, free to do no work at all, and not have to worry about these choices having any impact on whether or not you can get medical care?

I wonder if the original poster thinks that having health care financing like we have in the United States, strongly tied to insurance companies and employers, is a desirable thing. I can assure you, it is not a good thing.

I believe the original poster is sincere in his concerns. But no good can come from any attempt to obtain health care from Upwork. Keep in mind that even the health care plans it offers in the U.S. and Canada are only offered in order to comply with certain health care laws. Upwork does not provide free health care of free health insurance to anybody, not even in the U.S. or Canada.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 41

Hmm....

If the OP wants a health care plan for Indians, people from all parts of the globe will want one too. Additionally....you do not work FOR Upwork, so they have absolutely ZERO obligation to supply people working from India, or any other country, with one. As a freelancer, you are a business, and it is the job of the business (i.e. you) to take care of your own health care...or any other...needs.

This business of health care plans provided by Upwork has been mentioned before and thoroughly discussed...and the general consensus was that it is an extremely bad idea.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 41

Yes you are right. But if it is available then it will be an added benefit. Because group insuarance policy certainly have very low premium and has added benefits. I am not telling upwork to provie it free. We will pay our premium. But to get corporate or group insuarance we need a company as well as large no. of members. In this way freelancing will become more attractive and lot of other persons who are still working as an employee in other companies like i did earlier will easily come to upwork without worrying about their medical expenditure. Many companies here in india offers group insuarance to their employees and employess just fear to leave their jobs because of medical insuarance and other benefits they get in their companies.

I know this is a new idea but if it happens it will chnage the whole world of freelancing. World is idea we dont even thought of frrelancing earlier through online. But now it is happening. So to get more persons to the world of freelancing something new need to happen. Without new freelancers online platform like upwork will not grow. We will get huge quality talents in upwork coming from differnt companies to join the world of freelancing. Like my friends they are not joing upwork as full timer because of some added benefits they get from their respective companies.

I am sure if this idea clicks lots of talents will join upwork that will help it to grow. I am an upworker since 2010 but in middle i joined a company because of added benefits i get there.

Hope you all understand my idea and logic

Somdeb 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 41

I guess the initial idea is to take advantage of the huge amount of people on Upwork to negotiate lower rates for health insurance. In this case Upwork could, and should, take a cut to cover the costs of doing this, but on the overall it may be a not so bad idea if it is taken with this specific approach in mind.

But it's complicated because contractors are spread over many countries and there is no health care insurance which would cover so much localities.

Now Upwork may start negotiating in some big countries, like US but also India.

I live in a country which has a universal single paying healthcare service, so I'm not interested in this, but I understand that US contractors, and obviously Indians too, may be interested.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 41

Yes that is the idea i want to float. Thanks for supporting my idea

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
10 of 41

I recently read an article about this exact thing. It can work in large numbers and Upwork doesn't have to pay a thing. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS