cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of You Indian freelancer want a corporate medical insuarance from Upwork?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
31 of 41

@Stephen B wrote:

So now Upwork should be using its profits to fund (or at least administer) an insurance scheme so that freelancers from a certain country can pay for their elderly parents' medical bills?? I really don't want to appear racist,  but am I missing something??

lol yes, just India. Because we want to attract more Indians, as if that's necessary. Imagine if someone had said "just the US" and all the rage.  

Highlighted
Community Leader
Geomaria G Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
32 of 41

Work, Earn and Pay for their better medical care. Smiley Very Happy 

I think that will keep them alive, more than love or insurance claims! 

Geo Maria George
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Somdeb M Member Since: May 6, 2015
33 of 41
Not free my friend. We will pay our premium but group Insurance premiums are less and have other facilities because of bulk purchase
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
34 of 41

I have decades of experience as CEO/CFO of a large company providing services to thousands of independent contractors. I know it is uncommon in the United States for such a company to provide medical or any other kind of group insurance to those contractors.

To do so would add an administrative cost and burden to the company that is unsupportable by the existing fee structure and generally, from my actual business experience,  not even welcomed by the independent contractors.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
35 of 41

@Somdeb M wrote:
Not free my friend. We will pay our premium but group Insurance premiums are less and have other facilities because of bulk purchase

...and how much are you making on this generous offer????

Look most countries in the world have national health care plans and because of that we don't need insurance and if we did, UPWORK would be the VERY LAST place I would go to look for it.

Please take your pipe dream of more freelancers and file it away somewhere because we don't want or need more freelancers from India. Their reputation has preceeded them.

And get your health care at home if you don't have Universal Health Care in India. Work a few extra hours and voila, you've got enough money for health care. No need to pay money to upwork for health care.

And I understand India is getting/got Universal Health Care so why would you need this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
36 of 41

Somdeb, did it ever cross your mind to ask your internet provider to offer medical insurance? Dont they enable you to go online and find work?

Thats pretty much what Upwork do, its an online platform where you can find work, in relation with its freelancers Upwork its just a service provider. You should read the Agreement, to understand better Upwork's role.

Its the "clients" you work for on Upwork that you can pursue into a discussion about "benefits". Dont go by asking to offer medical insurance but negociate your rate so that you can cover the expense of a premium medical insurance.

As a freelancer you have the freedom to create yourself opportunities and benefits that fits best your interests, it doesnt come in bulk.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
37 of 41
No India does not have universal health insurance. Also due to old age of our parents most of the insurance company will not open a policy. Are you saying that Indian freelancers are of bad quality due to their cheaper rates you are absolutely wrong my friend. Some may be bad but most of them are not. In USA there is https://www.freelancersunion.org but in India there is no such organization.That is why I am asking upwork to do it off course with a fee from those who are interested.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
38 of 41

@Somdeb M wrote:
No India does not have universal health insurance. Also due to old age of our parents most of the insurance company will not open a policy.

With all due respect, your parents are not Upwork's problem, or that of every other freelancer on this platform.

Please let me know which part of "Upwork already has WAY more freelancers than it can healthily sustain in every category" you have trouble comprehending and we can try and explain it to you in more simple terms.

If Upwork removed (as I firmly believe they should) a least 20% - if not 40% of the existing freelancers across all categories there would still not be any need to attract a single additional one for a long time.

Hence ANYTHING that attracts a single new freelancer, especially from the one country that is already over-represented, is a BAD thing for everyone, including yourself.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
39 of 41

I know its not upwork's problem but its our problem and if upwork helps is just a plus.

If a freelancer is bad then his profile will reflect it and hence client will avoid that freelancer. So there's no problem about that.

I actually just want to take benefits of the huge pool of upworkers who are interested so we can negotiate the insuarance company for more benfits. I am not talking about peoples who are not interested. So for example if 100 of indian freelancer is interested we can make a huge bargain with the insuarance companies. That will save everyones money in upwork who are having indivusual medical insuarance.

@Petra R wrote:

@Somdeb M wrote:
No India does not have universal health insurance. Also due to old age of our parents most of the insurance company will not open a policy.

With all due respect, your parents are not Upwork's problem, or that of every other freelancer on this platform.

Please let me know which part of "Upwork already has WAY more freelancers than it can healthily sustain in every category" you have trouble comprehending and we can try and explain it to you in more simple terms.

If Upwork removed (as I firmly believe they should) a least 20% - if not 40% of the existing freelancers across all categories there would still not be any need to attract a single additional one for a long time.

Hence ANYTHING that attracts a single new freelancer, especially from the one country that is already over-represented, is a BAD thing for everyone, including yourself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
40 of 41

Somdeb M wrote:

I actually just want to take benefits of the huge pool of upworkers who are interested

Which "huge pool?"

So far I have seen you and ............ nobody else... Not a single Indian Freelancer has shared your sentiment.
You are swimming in a big fat "huge pool" of ONE... all alone.
big fat Zero.jpg

Give it a rest.

Let Upwork do what is their job to do, which is make this platform a stable and a safe and profitable place to find clients and work.

Your Health Insurance is your issue to resolve, as it is every other freelancer's in the world.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS