🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How much can a current client see about my ot...
Page options
roman_tabitha
Community Member

How much can a current client see about my other clients?

I am wondering what a current client can see about any other potential clients.  Do they know if I have shown interest in another client?  And if I do accept a job will my current client know I have more than one client?

13 REPLIES 13
csjarmitage
Community Member

They wouldn't know if you'd submitted a proposal to another potential client.  However, all of your contracts are shown on your profile page.

I would assume that, as a freelancer, clients understand that you have multiple contracts going on. It wouldn't make much sense to only work with only one person at a time (unless that's your business model, of course)

hi, can a client see if I'm working on a full-time contract?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

This reply/post from Christy is from 2016, but I'll be happy to help you with your question. Any client will see your Work History and available hours listed like this on your profile. They will have no further information on how long you work on your contract based on what's listed on your profile. 

If I may give a tip, I would not recommend getting contracts that take more than 8 hours of your day. While freelancing gives you flexibility on the number of clients and hours you can work on, your health and wellness should remain a top priority. Don't work hard - work smart! If you can charge a higher rate on one contract instead of charging a minimal rate for two contracts, that would be better for you. Here's a great article that may help you set your rates. 

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tabitha,

I see Christy already responded to your questions. Having multiple clients/contracts is fine as long as you have the required skill, can commit sufficient time, meet the agreed terms, exceed client's expectations and complete each contract on time.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

That's awful that clients can see your open contracts. It will affect thier decion making when hiring and is really none of thier business. 

That is an awful feature that should be removed.

Kendall:

You are correct that when clients look at a freelancer's profile page, they can view a tiny bit of information about open contracts. They can see a contract title, an hourly rate, number of hours worked, amount earned thus far, and when the contract began (month/year).

This is information that Upwork apparently thinks prospective clients may find useful.

Is this "awful" (your word)?

Some people might classify this as "transparent."

You said that this information will affect the decisions of prospective clients. That may well be true. It is probably meant to help inform their decisions.

Remember that Upwork's real customers are the paying clients, not the freelancers. So Upwork is more interested in whether or not the clients find this information, and not as interested in whether or not freelancers like having that information posted.

Nevertheless, it is a legitimate topic of conversation. You could, for example, suggest to Upwork (even in this very thread) that you would like an option to hide this information. Perhaps such an option could be made available to Premium Account members.

Kendall,  open contracts are actually an asset depending on perspective.  These are on-going jobs in many cases; perhaps once a month; perhaps e.o.m.

If it concerns you, briefly explain why you have open contacts.  I have perhaps 6 > one of which is over 15k ... and all are selling points in my favor.

Open and ACTIVE contracts show that clients value your work > after all, they keep you around and give you sustaining work.  

If a contract is say 3 years old and has only earned $200 > that is another story.  That's a dead contract and should be closed from the FLer end.

Kendall, you might want to remove your contact info from your profile - last line -  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

This is, as I'm sure you know, 100% AGAINST Terms of Service and can get you ousted from Upwork.  For good.

I think it would be a good idea to give freelancers the option instead of deciding for them. Not sure which I would choose as I can see both pros and cons. I guess it depends on what kind of work you do and what kind of clients you attract.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Peter,

This is a thread from 2016 and was revived in 2019. Just the same, thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.

~ Avery
Upwork
285dba7f
Community Member

Hi Avery, revisiting this in 2023. How much can a client see if i have a freelancer plus subscription? Can they know how many hours im working and what my previous rates were?

Hi Albert,

Thank you for reaching out. The total hours you worked will still be visible as well as your rate. What you can keep private is your total earnings for each contract.

~ AJ
Upwork

Remember that upwork take a fee from you and its pretty high BTW, so I should say, because of freelancers upwork exist and thats why its so reliable to clients to invest in you, so the more jobs you have the most posibility you have to earn about more than 1000$ and upwork will take only 10% or so. Im not complaining, after all u got a job because of this platform, but the more freelancers you get upwork wins more, either if its 8 hour a day job they are sstill going to charge you.

But for me what upwork makes upwork are the freelancers not the contractors. Of course its a win win for upwork in both ways but remember who gives the recomendations to many upworkers freelancers are the freelancers itself.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members