🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How much should I charge for the design o...
Page options
nanakastudio
Community Member

How much should I charge for the design of a cookbook? I'm new to Upwork

5 REPLIES 5
versailles
Community Member

You should ask a designer.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

You should ask a designer.

And  the designer will tell you that it depends on the number of pages 😉

mtngigi
Community Member

Veronica,

No one here can tell you what to charge. Presumably you've had to give real-world clients estimates? How did you do that?

There are lots of variables with books - page count, photos that need work, maybe illustrations, the cover art. Do you have to do an index? A 50-page cookbook will not take as long as a 200-page cookbook. All these things and more need to be factored into a bid.

The best thing to do is get complete clarity and expectations on what the client hopes for as an end result, and work back from there. Make room in your bid for the number of revisions you'll agree to do, find out how the things you need to get started will be handed off to you. Copy (should be well-proofed), images (will they need Photoshop work), etc.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Veronica: Being really honest with you: Figuring out how much to charge for some is an advanced technique. It requires wisdom and experience.

If you are new to freelancing, you should start won't hourly jobs only.

If you work for an hour, you get paid for an hour. Very simple.

Once you start accepting fixed-price contracts... expect to make mistakes.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Is it an ebook or a printed book? How many pages? Is the client providing photographs, and if so, will any of them need retouching? If you're supposed to provide stock photography, will you include that in the price (i.e. if you have an account with Adobe or similar), or charge it back to the client? Did the client provide any guidelines as to their preferred colour palette, fonts, style etc.? What hourly rate do you want to charge? How many initial designs/rounds of revisions will you include?

Look, I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't know the basics of what questions to ask your client or how to scope a project like this, then you might want to start by taking on some smaller projects and build up some experience. Cookbooks usually have very glossy, sophisticated designs with impeccable photography, and if you don't have experience in this area, you might be in over your head.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths