🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How much should i charge?
Page options
circuitsolutions
Community Member

How much should i charge?

Hi,

I am having a problem charging my client (my first client). He asked me to make a pretty expert based circuit board for 10USD/hr (ofc i get 😎 and that for 7 hours a week. And i made his board with full hardwork and top notch quality in 2 days (7 hours). But still getting paid 8$ seems less for the amount of work that i put in.
Keeping in mind hes my first client, but now he knows my worth...

So
1. Should i charge him more, and if yes then what...
2. how to ask for that charge from them
3. How much is my worth as an Altium Designer Expert (though new to freelancing)

Regards
Usairem Alamgeer
Circuit Solutions
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "my skill is worth way more than that i am charging, need some help to devise a plan to get that rate to where it should be."

Upwork doesn't determine how much you charge. You are the one who decides that.

To be very honest: What you do is very specialized. That is a GOOD THING. But what you do is so specialized that most of us here know little or nothing about it. We can't advise you based on a knowledge of your area of expertise.

But I can offer some general advice:

Your skill has no inherent economic worth in and of itself.

Your skill has monetary worth only in the context of demand for that skill.

So, essentially, your skills are worth what you can get paid for them.

I started out on Upwork with a fairly low hourly rate. As I gained experience and increased my work history, I became more in demand by clients. I raised my hourly rate higher and higher due to the demand for my work, and not due to any "objective" estimation of my skill.

If you are getting so many offers for work than you can not possibly accept them all, then that is a good indication that your rate is too low.

Think of the shop that offers green marbles for sale, but very few people buy them. They lower the price on these green marbles, and a few more people buy them. Finally they lower the price even more, and then sales are pretty decent... Enough to justify stocking the item. Compare that to the blue marbles, which sell out within minutes whenever they put them on the shelf. The shop raised the rates on blue marbles higher and higher, and people kept buying them. The shop eventually had prices on green versus blue marbles which were quite different, one low and the other high, but both intended to maximize their profits.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Sardar Usairem A wrote:
I am having a problem charging my client (my first client). He asked me to make a pretty expert based circuit board for 10USD/hr (ofc i get 😎 and that for 7 hours a week. And i made his board with full hardwork and top notch quality in 2 days (7 hours). But still getting paid 8$ seems less for the amount of work that i put in.
Keeping in mind hes my first client, but now he knows my worth...

So
1. Should i charge him more, and if yes then what...
2. how to ask for that charge from them
3. How much is my worth as an Altium Designer Expert (though new to freelancing)

You logged your hours at the agreed rate. You will get paid automatically for all hours you properly logged or tracked at the rate you agreed to.

What do you actually mean? When you accept a contract at $ X an hour (making your profile rate look like a bad joke)  you get paid at the hourly rate you agreed to for the hours you properly tracked or logged on Upwork.

Your profile contains violations of Upwork's terms of service. You want to fix that before you end up being suspended and removed from the platform.

Yeah i just fixed that.. thanks for the information.

But then again as a general question, my skill is worth way more than that i am charging, need some help to devise a plan to get that rate to where it should be.

I accepted the offer at a low rate only aiming that i can over do the job by miles and get some good reviews.

So now i want to raise the worth..

How do i do that.

Sardar Usairem A wrote:

I accepted the offer at a low rate only aiming that i can over do the job by miles and get some good reviews.

So now i want to raise the worth..

On an existing contract, you don't. You agreed to the terms, so those are the terms for that contract.

Sardar Usairem A wrote:
Yeah i just fixed that.. thanks for the information.

You haven't fixed it.

Your profile still offers the services of a team (violation 1) on an individual profile which must offer only your own services and nothing else and certainly no team, and your profile still claims native English levels which is not true (violation 2)

Thanks alot for the help. I didn’t read the terms. Guess I should’ve.

re: "my skill is worth way more than that i am charging, need some help to devise a plan to get that rate to where it should be."

Upwork doesn't determine how much you charge. You are the one who decides that.

To be very honest: What you do is very specialized. That is a GOOD THING. But what you do is so specialized that most of us here know little or nothing about it. We can't advise you based on a knowledge of your area of expertise.

But I can offer some general advice:

Your skill has no inherent economic worth in and of itself.

Your skill has monetary worth only in the context of demand for that skill.

So, essentially, your skills are worth what you can get paid for them.

I started out on Upwork with a fairly low hourly rate. As I gained experience and increased my work history, I became more in demand by clients. I raised my hourly rate higher and higher due to the demand for my work, and not due to any "objective" estimation of my skill.

If you are getting so many offers for work than you can not possibly accept them all, then that is a good indication that your rate is too low.

Think of the shop that offers green marbles for sale, but very few people buy them. They lower the price on these green marbles, and a few more people buy them. Finally they lower the price even more, and then sales are pretty decent... Enough to justify stocking the item. Compare that to the blue marbles, which sell out within minutes whenever they put them on the shelf. The shop raised the rates on blue marbles higher and higher, and people kept buying them. The shop eventually had prices on green versus blue marbles which were quite different, one low and the other high, but both intended to maximize their profits.

59342b32
Community Member

Hi, how much does a graphic designer charge for creating an ad post, a reel, and 2 static posts at a fixed price?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members