🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How often or do you at all report job pos...
Page options
mradulovic
Community Member

How often or do you at all report job postings asking for free work?

I recently came across a bit more of these than usual, e.g. "You will have to work for free until our platform starts making money". I haven't gone back to check if Upwork has done anything about them, but I am curious to hear what your opinion is, it only takes a few clicks to flag these jobs and I hope it helps make the marketplace a little cleaner, pretty sure this qualifies as clients asking for free work, this is not allowed here.

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Marko R wrote:

I recently came across a bit more of these than usual, e.g. "You will have to work for free until our platform starts making money". I haven't gone back to check if Upwork has done anything about them, but I am curious to hear what your opinion is, it only takes a few clicks to flag these jobs and I hope it helps make the marketplace a little cleaner, pretty sure this qualifies as clients asking for free work, this is not allowed here.

I flag each and every one I find, but I don't follow up on them to see if they are still there. These clients just annoy the heck out of me, as well as the freelancers that feel taking these jobs will further their upwork career in any way.

Please join discussion about filtering clients : https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Paid-entrance-did-not-help-make-same-for-clients-Connect... . It is upwork job to filter out that clients, if they are not doing that, why should I pay for ? Just to keep shareholders in profit ?

Vitaliy K wrote:

Please join discussion about filtering clients : https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Paid-entrance-did-not-help-make-same-for-clients-Connect... . It is upwork job to filter out that clients, if they are not doing that, why should I pay for ? Just to keep shareholders in profit ?

What do you mean keep? Upwork has yet to show a profitable year. 

I can't understand that anyone would take these jobs at all, even the newer members, chances of actually getting paid sound extremely unlikely, I can imagine the statistic on these businesses actually making it is abysmal, and it shows extreme lack of fundamental understanding of how to start any kind of business if you haven't even planned to pay your employees. Hope the new members have enough common sense to reject these, some cost as much as 6 connects to apply! Glad to hear the community is dilligent in fighting this problem.

Marko R wrote:

I can't understand that anyone would take these jobs at all, even the newer members, chances of actually getting paid sound extremely unlikely, I can imagine the statistic on these businesses actually making it is abysmal, and it shows extreme lack of fundamental understanding of how to start any kind of business if you haven't even planned to pay your employees. Hope the new members have enough common sense to reject these, some cost as much as 6 connects to apply! Glad to hear the community is dilligent in fighting this problem.

I don't know about the community as I only speak for myself. Newer members often don't show any common sense, sometimes even considering offering to work for free - lacking the basic understanding that a job done for zero dollars will not show up in the history and can't earn feedback. 

Well, you are a community member, so am I, so that's something at least. I went back to check on the latest one I found, it's still there, it even states explicitly "you will not be paid" in the job post. I'm guessing it takes some time for the staff to react, but I hope they will get around to it.

Marko R wrote:

Well, you are a community member, so am I, so that's something at least. I went back to check on the latest one I found, it's still there, it even states explicitly "you will not be paid" in the job post. I'm guessing it takes some time for the staff to react, but I hope they will get around to it.

Just give us the link, and before Upwork removes it, we'll all flag the job.

iryna-k
Community Member

I do report clients asking and pushing towards free work. I can make a discount for test task but not for free.. People sometimes agree on that asking for contract with minimum payment to get feedback, still in this case client is to pay at least something. I don't like that kind of clients and it is sad upwork doesn't notice such situations to block clients.

I like reporting job offers in French asking for free work. They probably think they can get away with it by using French.

williambernal
Community Member

MR,

I flag clear violation/fraudulent postings each and every day...and then I see the very same clients posting the very same jobs over and over and over again.

Needless to say, my faith in any productive value of flagging fraud postings is at near zero.

Work Smart, Work Safe!

wb

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths