🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How "boosting" WASTES your money....
Page options
ericaandrews
Community Member

How "boosting" WASTES your money....

Today, I BID on a very enticing looking job, and only used the minimum required 6 connects.

At the time I put my BID in, all 3 "boosted" slots were full, with people bidding 20, 40, and 60+ connects.

I sent my bid in...with just 6.

Within 15 minutes I recieved a message from the client asking to do an Upwork Call. So, interview "in progress"

Now, look at the attached STATS for this job so far. Only 2 people interviewed, one of which was ME. This means at least TWO of the people who "boosted" their proposals simply WASTED  their money.

During the interview, the client actually complained that there must be some "bug" in Upwork because unqualified proposals  are "stuck" to the top of list like "bad pop ads on a website you can't CLOSE, so you just hit BACK and LEAVE the website"

What I learned today: Boosting turns your proposal into an annoying "pop-up ad" from the client's vantage point. Let that sink in.... 

3 REPLIES 3
Community Member

I have read and heard the same things from other clients. Most of them are freelancers that hire other freelancers.

Then the fact they are asking people to pay not to see them is every more strange...

I can't comment on freelancers hiring other freelancers, but this client was a "mid cap" company based ton current stock market standards who wasn't very "impressed" with not having freedom to SORT his candidate list as he saw fit. Unqualified "boosted" proposals at the TOP of his list, no matter what he did. This actually encourages clients to ABANDON the job post entirely and hire elsewhere. ☹️ Not fair to clients....or freelancers. 

melaniekhenson
Community Member

I don't boost my proposals. Sometimes I get the job and sometimes I don't, just like before there was a boost feature.

I'm not saying this is how everyone should operate here on UW, it's just my personal experience, at least so far.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members