🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How reliable is Grammarly?
Page options
roberty1y
Community Member

How reliable is Grammarly?

If Grammarly is to be believed, I'm nearly illiterate. I misuse words and commit errors of punctuation several times in every line of writing. And that's just the free version. I'd hate to see what the fully paid up Grammarly would make of my writing - it would look like I'm just this side of signing my name with an X.

3 REPLIES 3
shetani
Community Member

Same here, Robert. It threw a fit at this sentence and told me to remove both commas:

[... online forms.] Forms that represent your brand, ensure an excellent user experience, and improve the efficiency of your workflows.

I couldn't go through with it, but at least I got the hugging face of approval because my text is friendly.

Ines H wrote:
Same here, Robert. It threw a fit at this sentence and told me to remove both commas:

[... online forms.] Forms that represent your brand, ensure an excellent user experience, and improve the efficiency of your workflows.

I couldn't go through with it, but at least I got the hugging face of approval because my text is friendly.

I can see why it did that, because with the commas it's not a complete sentence, and removing the commas makes it one. It totally changes the meaning though, which is the big problem with its suggestions: they're (usually) grammatically right and still totally wrong.

ETA: incomplete sentences aren't necessarily wrong depending on the context, but Grammarly doesn't seem to know that.

wescowley
Community Member

Robert Y wrote:

How reliable is Grammarly?

It's very unreliable, especially with punctuation and synonyms. If your grammar is already good enough that you know when to tell it to (censored in advance), it can be helpful in catching typos. Otherwise, it tends to make a mess of things.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths