cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How the new Connects regulation is affecting the freelancers & dramatically decreasing their

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
11 of 38

If you are a contractor who takes short term one off jobs then yes, the 60 connects can be a problem. The odds of getting hired are lower and you need to apply to more than one job a day.

If this is you, then you need to be working on many platforms and not just one. There are times when 60 is just not enough IF you want a full time income. 

So you either need to buy more connects and factor them into your pricing, freelancer somewhere else as well, or stop doing short term one off jobs.

For people like Petra and Preston, they take long term jobs and don't really experience the job of "short term".

Their advice is good, but I understand your issue.

Highlighted
Rami A Member Since: Dec 23, 2015
12 of 38

Alrigh, It is my first post here and it seems to me, the people replying here are the Top freelancers on this site and have long term jobs with their clients. I salut you all and that great thing but you guys are the minority here. u are the exception here. 

The majority are people who have to keep apply to find new jobs.

apply to 30 projects per month (60 connects) is little cause the majority of jobs posted end up without the client hiring anyone. 

Of course if I had a long term project with clients, I wouldnt need to apply to any new jobs and I wont spend any connect but that not the case to the most freelancers here. 

Most freelancers need to always apply to find new jobs, and even I do respect all your replies but you guys are the small portion of freelancers who were able to build great profiles and find long term projects. 

So it is very wrong to generalize your conditions in this topic.

Thanks

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 38

According to Upwork:

The reason Upwork adopted the Connects program is because there were so many bad contractors sending bad job proposals to clients, it caused frustration for the clients, to the point that they ended up not hiring anybody.

Lots of applications sent in by contractors were simply copy-and-paste blather by unprofessional contractors who had not even read the job proposals, and who had no qualifications whatsoever relating to the job. I remember seeing things like Japanese translation jobs with dozens of applications from India-based contractors... contractors whose profiles had no mention of translation abilities and no connection to Japan.

Unfortunately, none of this really addresses the distinction between short-term and longer-term contracts.

I have personally advocated for Upwork to do something to adjust for contractors focusing on short-term contracts. One idea is to award connects back to a contractor after a contract is successfully concluded. If a contractor applied to and was awarded many contract that take a very short amount of time, they would not run out of contracts because finishing a contract would mean their supply of connects was re-stocked.

Another idea is to make it so that smaller, short-term contracts only cost 1 connect instead of two.

But, yes, right now the Connects system IS something of a one-size-fits all approach, and the overal utility of Upwork is definitely slanted toward contractors who work on larger, long-term projects.

This may not change. Upwork earns more money from contractors who have steady, long-term clients. The "My Stats" page clearly identifies having long-term clients as a positive thing that increases one's Job Success Score.

One thing to keep in mind: Many clients hire contractors for short-term projects, and then continue working with the contractors who really impress them and bring value to their project. This might happen with projects that the client thinks of as a "test" project ahead of time. It can also simply because a contractor shows a client how to do things better than the client even thought about, and the client decides to continue working with a contractor more than originally intended.

Ace Contributor
Corey H Member Since: Sep 14, 2015
14 of 38

@Rami A

I'm new to this platform with no top rated badge and I agree completely with the others.

More connects = more competition ≈ same amount of jobs landed + more time wasted writing proposals + more spam.

I think the sliding scale of connects will be beneficial, but until then choose carefully; and if you have to, diversify your gigs to not be completly dependant on a single platform. If there's actually nothing to apply to, step up your game by improving your skillset or doing a passion project to toss in your portfolio (instead of stuff from Powtoon templates). It will help you in the long run.

Ed T Member Since: Dec 22, 2015
15 of 38

Using one connect? I'm new but I've spent hours combing the listings and I've never even seen a job that didn't take two. At any rate, the idea of getting them back if you do short term jobs is a good one. If you are doing small writing jobs that can make a difference and it's good for clients if you turn their job over quickly and then satisfy another. And it would eliminate the ever-present danger of freelancers spamming clients.

Another thing I'm noticing is clients who say they want a job done in seven days, I apply in the first hour and three days later they haven't hired anyone. The bid is being made based on the requirement, so if they say "three days" or whatever to do the work, I'm bidding based on starting right away and getting it done so I can take more. If there is a deadline, one that the client has specified, the offer should expire and the connects returned (assuming they didn't hire anyone). Otherwise, we are being spammed. Our time and connects are wasted.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
16 of 38

Ed,

Are you "being spammed" when you look at the want ads? Where you focus your energy and invest your connects is your lookout, not Upwork's.

Best,
Michael

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 38

Preston wrote, "I remember seeing things like Japanese translation jobs with dozens of applications from India-based contractors... contractors whose profiles had no mention of translation abilities and no connection to Japan."

Guess what, I'm currently being interviewed for a job specifying Location: North America, English Level: Native or Bilingual and there were dozens of applicants from India. Nor is this the first time I've witnessed something like this. So the most that can be claimed regarding Connects is that on average they reduced the number of junk applications. That reminds me, it's been a long time since I've suggested an improvement or alternative to Connects, so here's another one. Let clients flag junk applications, and then suspend or expel freelancers who get flagged regularly. It would reduce spam far more effectively than Connects.

18 of 38

Hi John

Happy Christmas.....

What a great idea!!! that would work!

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
19 of 38

@John K wrote:

Guess what, I'm currently being interviewed for a job specifying Location: North America, English Level: Native or Bilingual and there were dozens of applicants from India. 

In India, English is considered a native language of that country so they would pass that requirement, but the North America should be an indication of they are not wanted.

Ed T Member Since: Dec 22, 2015
20 of 38

Ed,

Are you "being spammed" when you look at the want ads? Where you focus your energy and invest your connects is your lookout, not Upwork's.

Michael,

I never said anything about me being spammed. All I said was that when a job has an expiration date or a start date, it would be nice if the listing expired after that date. I like fast turn jobs, and bid accordingly. I work quickly and want to establish relationships with clients who need and value that. So I wasn't blaming upwork for anything, simply suggesting that it would be reasonable to have a no fault policy regarding such job listings.

I accidentally applied for one that was already past the deadline (but still live). That is on me, not upwork. When I noticed, I cancelled, thinking that if the poster was putting up bogus dreadlines, I couldn't really trust anything else about the listing. Again, not an upwork problem, per se, just a waste of space and time on everyone's part, and I would think easily remedied by giving time-dependent listing a shelf life set by the poster. After all, if I am a client and have a job that has a deadline I don't want it buried in the clutter of jobs that are past deadline.... I think clients would appreciate the feature as much as I would.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS