cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the new Connects regulation is affecting the freelancers & dramatically decreasing their income.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 38

Michael,

I never said anything about me being spammed.

Oops, guess your post was hacked then. Somebody snuck in "Otherwise, we are being spammed. Our time and connects are wasted." My bad.

Best,

Michael

Ed T Member Since: Dec 22, 2015
22 of 38

No I wasn't hacked. My error -- I mis-stated that and thought you were referring to my first comment. In the sense of the second part of my comment, yes I am spammed looking at want ads. If you are a working professional (and I have been for years) it is rather simple.

In case you are not, let me put this in context.... you go to a site such as this one to find people who are seriously looking for freelance help. If the admin people structure things such that they allow spurious job posts, then yes, when I look at the want ads I am being spammed. This is not Craig's list or an open forum, theoretically. We are (correctly) expected to behave professionally. That is supposed to apply to clients as well. When jobs are posted an no one hired, there should be a legitimate reason, such as an appropriate candidate didn't apply. That fact should be clear failry quickly. In particular, when a job has a stated deadline, it should be tied to an expiration date, otherwise either the deadline is bogus or the job was filled elsewhere. With the large number of listings, given that upwork gets money from us taking and completing jobs (unless they are charging clients for listing. I have no idea...) then those jobs are spam. Spam, spam, spam, It takes time to read the jobs carefully and compose a reply. I have to evaluate if I can do a job in the time stated. My bid reflects that deadline. If it is bogus, my time, time I would otherwise have spent more profitably is gone. Taken away by a spammer.

I thought upwork would be a good source of jobs. Because of things like bogus want ads and unresponsive clients,  it is more of a time sink, at least for a writer (I imagine people in other fields have different experiences). I don't expect (didn't even ask) Upwork to resove this--I am just no longer looking at the ads. I have booked my time elsewhere and set my profile to not available because there are better, more professional ways to find work. Real clients are happy to hire quickly and pay decently for good work.

Euan V Member Since: Nov 4, 2015
23 of 38

That's a fair point, and a good argument well made.

Euan V Member Since: Nov 4, 2015
24 of 38

I hear you man. It can be tough trying to start out with that few connects.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
25 of 38

@Scott E wrote:

If you believe that having more connects will result in you getting more work, then you should consider buying more connects. If additional connects are what you need to secure more work, then they are a cost of doing business. If the cost of you doing business is too high, then you need to alter your rates, reduce costs, change your approach so you get more than one job in twenty, or look for another line of work. 

Sounds blunt, but that's just the way it is. 

I agree wih Scott. In my category of Resume Writing next month is the "Big One". I fully expect to use the 110 connects I currently have left and then be buying more on top of that.

This is a normal business decision. When there are lots of jobs listed, it pays to pay for extra connects to make more money. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
26 of 38

I have posted a job recently that three times I cancelled it because not one of the contractors bothered to read the job description. It was for US/CA only and all but a couple of the applicants were from other countries.

I think John's idea is great. We keep seeing people complain that they don't have enough connects. Limiting connects sure is not solving the issue. I keep getting applicants from countries I do not want. The job is specific and I shouldn't be getting applicants from other countries. But I continue to.

I hired off of Upwork because I was frustrated with the disregard for what my job posting was. I had a specific need but I was still get applicants from India and  the Phillipines. What part of US/CA only does someone not get?

John has a brilliant idea. Let the clients flag those who keep posting to their jobs that do not bother to read and suspend them if they can't be bothered to read.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
27 of 38

re: "Using one connect? I'm new but I've spent hours combing the listings and I've never even seen a job that didn't take two."

I say I use, on average, one connect per month because I typically only apply to one job every other month. So some months I use 2 connects. Some months I use zero. It averages out to one per month, on average.

Ed T Member Since: Dec 22, 2015
28 of 38

Ah, Preston... Logic is a wondrous thing! Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I'm just getting started and I notice that many of the listings hold our the idea of longer term work. Assuming that is more than a carrot, I can see that over time you'd build repeat business or steady clients and be tapering back quickly. To be honest, if a couple of the proposals I've put in now are accepted, my prospecting efforts would be cut back like yours. As you said, that is the goal--establish some lucrative connections and nurture good clients.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 38

I don't use many connects, but I have never seen a job in translation or writing where only one connect is used. This is what it says in the book of words:

"All other proposals require anywhere from 1 to 5 Connects, depending on factors such as the size and type of project. Most proposals require about 2 Connects."

I've never seen an offer requiring 5 connects either! Are connects dollar weighted as they were on Elance?

Ahmed S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
30 of 38
Dears,
I want to complain about the job posted by clients and remains open till it expires. I knew from live chat that connects are not returned in this case. I see that unfair as such clients waste our connects and only freelancers are affected. I suggest to reduce the expiry period to be less than 30 days and return the connects. Also warn these clients abd inform them to cancel the job if they don't need it anymore.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS