🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to Change Proposal Cover Letter after Sub...
Page options
h_houston
Community Member

How to Change Proposal Cover Letter after Submitting?

Hi,

Is it possible to change a cover letter after submitting a bid for a job?

38 REPLIES 38
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Hazina,

Currently the option to edit a cover letter after submitting a proposal is not available. You can withdraw and re-submit a proposal though.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hazina,

In most cases, clients aren't going to care about the change you're thinking about submitting.

Clients have many contractors to consider, and there are many aspects of each contractor and proposal listing, including the portfolio, profile overview, work history, along with additional questions answered.

The first thing a client notices will be your photo, your name, your job success score, the number of hours you have worked, how many jobs you completed.

Your cover letter is a SMALL part of what a client might choose to look at, and the change you want to make is a SMALL part of that cover letter.

So in most cases, my suggestion is to submit a proposal and move on. Don't think about your submission again. At all. Until you hear from the client.

But if you REALLY, REALLY want to change something, then it is easy to withdraw the submission and re-submit a proposal.

While most of that is true, there are certain cases where editing a proposal would be nice. For example, my field is writing, and I've had one occasion where I changed the wording in the proposal but forgot to remove a word before submitting. As a writer, it doesn't look that good when you get some writing wrong.

And yeah, it's a silly and ironic mistake to make when applying for a writing job as a writer, but it happens, and I'm sure it would happen again.

Even though it's true that I could withdraw the proposal and resubmit it, as far as I understand how Upwork works, the client gets notified of the withdrawal and the reason for it, so you're either going to look hesitant, or just not very proffesional.

All that being said, even though an edit function would be arguably usefull and make life easier, I don't think it's a must. I doubt it happens often enough, and as you said, it wouldn's matter most of the time, only in cases where it's a writing job and how the person writes is somewhat part of the job application.

Albert,

It's definitely true that we writers are under an especially scrupulous microscope. I wonder what's more important - having a flawless cover letter that was re-submitted, or a fresh letter with minor errors?

Honestly? It can probably go 50-50 either way depending on the client :P.

Some clients like perfect work on the first time, other clients don't mind a bit of editing and correction. Usually the first type of clients are difficult to work for but pay well.

The only problem here is if the editing shows up on the proposal (which it probably would if it was ever implimented), in which case, we're pretty much screwed either way 😛

As a writer, it doesn't look that good when you get some writing wrong.

Well, I have to say that I had the same idea, but ussually I have typos when I write my cover letters coz I don't pay as much attention as I do when I'm working, and surprisingly I got the jobs

Withdrwing to correct would mean loosing the connects too.

Valeria,

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Preston,

Thanks, I just decided to leave it, the difference isn't vital anyway.

WOW. Well make it available. I just lost a contract due to a spelling mistake

Whose spelling mistake was it that caused you to lose a job?

Did your competitors do something different in their submission process? 

there have no reproposal button. 

Hi Sangida,

You should be able to withdraw your proposal if it hasn't yet been declined and then access the job again and send a new proposal.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Is this feature is really a big deal?

It doesn't let you re-submit.  

...per the rep that I just got off the phone with.

...and you lose your connects as well.  

I am unable to submit my changes for milestones on a job. I'm changing the terms and input the information but it won't allow me to submit.

Hi Michelle,

Could you please share the contract ID with me via a PMI'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Unfortunately, there isn't a contract ID yet since he didn't start the
contract. It's a private invitation and it's only to me. I withdrew my
proposal because that's what I read that I had to do.

Here is the link to the job posting. I need to resubmit my milestones.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Thank you!

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the clarification regarding your concern. I checked this for you, and the job posting you're referring to is set as ''invite only'', currently, you won't be able to send another proposal. I can see that you're communicating with the Client, kindly, advise them that they can easily rehire you as the former freelancer.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Boohoo, that is silly. I have just learnt it first hand. I have submitted the proposal and only after I have realised a schoolkid error in spelling was overlooked by the Grammarly spelling check. 

This looks totally unprofessional & can be viewed by the receiver as offensive.

Surely at least 1 change should be allowed for. 

Actually strange, weird.
WHY I can't change cover letters if I'm paying to your service!

1) When I need connections

2) each time when the client pays me.

Your service should make the ability to fix cover letters. 

and that would cause us to loose the connects again when apply again for the same job right?

Bilal M wrote:

and that would cause us to loose the connects again when apply again for the same job right?

Correct.

Hello, I did withdraw my proposal and submit another proposal to the same project. Will my first connects used will be refunded? Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

Limuel C wrote:

Hello, I did withdraw my proposal and submit another proposal to the same project. Will my first connects used will be refunded? Thanks

No

Hello Valeria K,

To add valuable information to a customer in my cover letter, I have withdrawn a boosted proposal based on your suggestion.
Then I found in Upwork's explanation that if I withdraw a boosted proposal, I can't propose again.

I have the following question.
The client job that I proposed needs special certification approved by the government. In Upwork, I think I am the only one who has it.
I can't propose again, so the customer can't notice me. Not only me but the customer will be at a disadvantage.
How can I approach the customer?

Hi Akio,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You have responded to an old thread and this process has changed since. You would not be able to resubmit boosted proposals once you withdraw them but if they were not boosted, you can submit a new one.

**Edited to add information

~ AJ
Upwork

Per this answer, I withdrew a proposal to make corrections to the cover letter. But when I went to resudmit I was told that, because I had boosted the original proposal, I could no longer submit for the job. I fail to understand the logic of this, especially when this forum suggests withdrawing and resubmitting is possible. 

Oh, no! I just took your advice and lost both my connects and possibly re-submit my proposal. Is it possible to do anything about it? Restore the proposal or get the connectors back? It says: Oh, no! I just took your advice and lost both my connects and possibly re-submit my proposal. Is it possible to do anything about it?

9eece82a
Community Member

A suggestion to Upwork

Use your website and find a developer and fix all of the stupid holes in your website. You take a big percentage from both contractors and employees. It would cost you a fraction to have a button that allows me to update my proposal. Even the poorest free wordpress blog has a facility to edit when signed in. Personally, I am sat here laughing you upwork. you are a laughing stock. It is a shame you decided to purchase the website who play this game much better than you can.

lysis10
Community Member

@Brendan H wrote:

A suggestion to Upwork

Use your website and find a developer and fix all of the stupid holes in your website. You take a big percentage from both contractors and employees. It would cost you a fraction to have a button that allows me to update my proposal. Even the poorest free wordpress blog has a facility to edit when signed in. Personally, I am sat here laughing you upwork. you are a laughing stock. It is a shame you decided to purchase the website who play this game much better than you can.

lol I'm sure they are laughing at you too. I'm laughing at this comment. THey take a percentage from contractors not "contractors and employees" whatever that means.

Not sure what WordPress has to do with editing your proposals. That's just ignant. I don't know what "purchase whole website" means either.

LOL good entertainment thanks bro.

yamarove
Community Member

Hey Jennifer,

I hardly thought Upwork had community gurus with attitude issues. They charge from both parties (contractors and employers(. What do you mean? Are you out of your mind? It has a missing r but makes sense. Lol. 

9eece82a
Community Member

hahahah

What a surprise I can not edit my post. Even a free message board plug in gives me that facility. hahaha a joke

slsv
Community Member

Just write your proposal first on Notepad if you want. Re-read it, correct the typos etc and then submit it. If is already submitted - withdraw and submit correct one.

@Brendan H wrote:

hahahah

What a surprise I can not edit my post. Even a free message board plug in gives me that facility. hahaha a joke

Yes you can

^ Take it from this fake profile. He knows. He accidentally outed himself in another thread and tried to change the text. He knows what's up. Santiago (if that's even your real name), tell him how to do it.

petra_r
Community Member

@Brendan H wrote:

hahahah

What a surprise, you can't even find the "Edit" button.................. It's in line with the rest of the drivel you posted.

edit post.jpg

Editing proposals is problematic because clients may decide on a proposal based on what it contained when it was first written, just to find that it changed several times. Many jobs have so many proposals that it would become ridiculous if people were able to keep changing their proposals.

If you mess it up first time, withdraw and reapply.

It is also always so cute when people keep using what a site that went out of business did as an example of how things should be done.

The right way to do things is the way that keeps a company going, not the one that contributes to its downfall.

2297e2bc
Community Member

Seems a bit of attitiude in these answers. Maybe some cuutisy and decorum is needed. After all , people ASK questions, not becouse they are cute or ignorant people. The community is not like Fakebook or Tweetter. They just need the guidance to  help ober the learning curve. I bet Petra, you were there once  too in your long profesional life in the real world? 

arvindonner
Community Member

I agree.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members