Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Delete Account

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
71 of 5,373

Let me point out one thing:

You can remove or edit information in your account.

You can close an account, or you can suspend an account.

Strictly speaking, you can not "delete" an account, if by "delete" you mean actually have all account information removed from Upwork's internal databases. That is not going to happen.

Even on systems (whether at Upwork or elsewhere) that provide an option to "delete" an account, you're not going to actually be able to delete an account entirely.

As a back-end database designer, I create these kinds of membership management systems. I can assure you that no matter what front-end users think they see, and regardless of what labels customer service representatives see on buttons, I would never create controls that allow end-users, customer service reps or managers to truly delete anybody's account.

Information like that is always archived or put into inactive status in some way. That means it is "effectively deleted," as far as you're concerned. And that's all you really need.

Highlighted
FigoTall K Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
72 of 5,373

Hi, everyone

Just wondering if anyone knows how to close an account on Upwork. I'm not using it at the moment. Just in case I will get something wrong or spend some credits randomly while I am not using it. So Can I close this account for now and use this later? Many thanks.

Kind Regards

Figo Khoo

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
73 of 5,373

re: "Can I close this account for now and use this later?"

If you want to use Upwork later, but not use it now, then don't close your account.

There is no guarantee that you can close an account and use it later. Sounds very risky to me.

Just log into your account settings and set your availability status to "NO AVAILABLE." For the date when you will be available again, pick a date far in the future, like a year from now or something.

If you want to be extra sure that nobody tries to offer you a job or something, you can remove all of your profile overview text (save it in a text file you have access to so you can restore it if you want to).

Replace your current profile overview with this:

"I am not currently looking for new work right now."

Highlighted
Austin T Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
74 of 5,373

Please remove my account ban it or something. Remove me from this horrid site. I beg you.

Highlighted
Austin T Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
75 of 5,373

Tried using support but it won't even let me sumbit a ticket or anything.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
76 of 5,373

@Austin T wrote:

Tried using support but it won't even let me sumbit a ticket or anything.

And because this forum is not a ticket system, it may take some time for your messge to reach the attention of a Forum Moderator, who will help you with your request as soon as they are able. Please do not spam the forums. Your request will be handled as soon as someone is able to assist you.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
77 of 5,373

Hi Austin,

It looks like you've already closed your account. Let us know if you have any further questions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
MD Masum B Member Since: Dec 9, 2015
78 of 5,373

i clossed my profile

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
79 of 5,373

@MD Masum B wrote:

i clossed my profile

It does not look closed... But I agree that closing it would be a good idea.....

Highlighted
Zuhh L Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
80 of 5,373

Hi I wan to delete my account. Please let me know how about it

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS