🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to Market Yourself with Little Experience...
Page options
3e85fbc6
Community Member

How to Market Yourself with Little Experience?

I joined Upwork last year hoping to become a professional artist/illustrator - and I've been able to "get my foot in the door" as I did manage to illustrate a children's book, but I'm having a very difficult time generating interest/securing jobs.  It seems that most clients are looking for digital artwork, not the hand-done sort that I create.  I started applying for "Digital Illustration" jobs anyway because sometimes I couldn't find anything else, and maybe I'd get lucky and find someone open to traditional artwork.

I've looked up some successful illustrators to study their profiles, but I'm just not sure how to market myself to clients when I don't have accolades/experience to list.  I'm also not sure if the hourly rate on my profile is too much for someone with my (lack of) experience - I'd had it set much lower and someone suggested it sent the wrong message.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate hearing some - I feel a little lost and am not sure I'm doing things right.  Hopefully my asking for advice doesn't give a poor impression, I apologize if it does.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
roberty1y
Community Member

Having looked at your portfolio, I'd say don't lower your rate. The artwork is good. You should start from your current rate and work upwards. You could also do fixed-price work, so clients will know exactly how much it will cost, if you're not sure how long you'll spend on it. 

The problem here at the moment is that work of all kinds is scarce. That's everybody's experience, no matter what their field. All you can do is keep sending out proposals. It could take 40 or 50 for every job you're hired for, but many more experienced freelancers have the same problem. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
roberty1y
Community Member

Having looked at your portfolio, I'd say don't lower your rate. The artwork is good. You should start from your current rate and work upwards. You could also do fixed-price work, so clients will know exactly how much it will cost, if you're not sure how long you'll spend on it. 

The problem here at the moment is that work of all kinds is scarce. That's everybody's experience, no matter what their field. All you can do is keep sending out proposals. It could take 40 or 50 for every job you're hired for, but many more experienced freelancers have the same problem. 

Thanks so much for the advice - I feel a little more confident now.  I'll keep right on 'proposing'!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members